Quantcast

OSU students discover ‘some random guy’ squatting behind locked door in basement

By Travis Gettys
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 15:33 EDT
google plus icon
OSU students discover squatter

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Some Ohio State University students discovered “some random guy” had apparently been living in their off-campus house without their knowledge.

The students told campus newspaper The Lantern that they became suspicious after hearing strange noises at their off-campus house.

“We had been telling everyone the story of the ghost in our house coming and opening all our cupboards and the oven and the microwave and all this stuff,” resident Mark Hartman told the paper.

Their suspicions led them to a locked door in the basement, where they said they heard dings and alarm sounds.

After maintenance workers knocked down the door, the students said they discovered a bedroom with textbooks and framed photographs.

They said the man, who was also a student at OSU, had access to a bathroom in the basement and a sink where he likely washed his clothes, but they said he apparently hadn’t eaten any of their food.

The residents had the locks changed that night but posted a note asking their unknown houseguest to call them, and the roommates said a man named Jeremy called and came to collect his belongings.

“He was really nice guy, (and) I feel bad for him, but it’s just, you know, he wasn’t supposed to be living there,” said resident Brett Mugglin.

Ten students lease the second and third floor of the house from NorthSteppe Realty, the newspaper reported, while another five students lease the first floor.

Mugglin said he met the uninvited houseguest over the summer, and he said the man wondered aloud when he’d meet the other roommates. But Mugglin said the man dodged the question when he asked if he lived on the first floor.

The roommates said the leasing company failed to change the locks to their 13th Avenue home from the year before, and they’re concerned that numerous keys might have been circulated.

“It’s funny now, but it really could have been like potentially extremely dangerous, like, given that some random guy had a key to our house and was living in our house without anyone knowing,” Mugglin said.

Watch the students’ interview with The Lantern’s Chelsea Spears:

Image via Lantern OSU on YouTube

By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.

Google+