Quantcast

U.S. Army general accused in sex crimes case pleads to lesser charges

By Reuters
Sunday, March 16, 2014 16:22 EDT
google plus icon
Army Brigadier General Jeffrey Sinclair leaves the courthouse at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, North Carolina in this file photo taken March 4, 2014. A captain, whose sexual-assault allegations against General Sinclair made him the focus of a rare court-martial for a high-ranking officer, will likely face tough questions from his attorneys when she takes the stand on Monday.   REUTERS/Ellen Ozier/Files  (UNITED STATES - Tags: MILITARY CRIME LAW)
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

(Reuters) – The United States has agreed to drop charges of sexual assault brought against an Army general in exchange for him pleading guilty to lesser charges including “mistreatment” of his accuser, a junior officer, the general’s lawyer said on Sunday.

Under the terms of an agreement with military prosecutors, the government will drop sex assault charges against Brigadier General Jeffrey Sinclair as well as two other charges that would have forced him to register as a sex offender, attorney Richard Scheff said in an email.

Military prosecutors did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sinclair, 51, had been charged with forcible sodomy based on allegations by a female U.S. Army captain that could have sent the 27-year Army veteran to prison for life.

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere in New York; Additional reporting by Colleen Jenkins; editing by Scott Malone and Matthew Lewis)

Reuters
Reuters
Reuters.com brings you the latest news from around the world, covering breaking news in business, politics, technology, and more.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+