Quantcast

University of Connecticut evacuates building after bomb threat

By Reuters
Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:00 EDT
google plus icon
[Crime scene image via Shutterstock]
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

(Reuters) – The University of Connecticut evacuated the admissions building at its campus outside Hartford on Thursday after receiving a bomb threat and urged students and staff who were not on campus to stay away.

No injuries were reported during the evacuation and university police were searching the building, said Stephanie Reitz, a school spokeswoman.

“We do have bomb-sniffing dogs on site,” Reitz said. “They have not located anything so far.”

She said the building that was the subject of the bomb threat was an administrative building that contained no classrooms or dorms.

The school said on its Web site that people at other campus locations should shelter in place. It said the threat had been issued at 9:30 a.m. EDT (1330 GMT).

About 20,000 students and staff are at the school’s main campus in Storrs, Connecticut, about 28 miles east of Hartford, on a typical day, Reitz said.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Bernadette Baum)

[Crime scene image via Shutterstock]

Reuters
Reuters
Reuters.com brings you the latest news from around the world, covering breaking news in business, politics, technology, and more.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+