Quantcast

No clear motive: Man killed in front of son in bizarre California freeway shooting

By Reuters
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 15:32 EDT
google plus icon
A man aims a handgun. Photo: Shutterstock.com, all rights reserved.
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

(Reuters) – A 32-year-old man was shot to death in front of his teenage son as they drove on a busy freeway in Anaheim in southern California, local media reported on Tuesday.

Agustin Villegas was the front-seat passenger in a white Ford F-150 pickup which was struck by bullets on Monday evening that shattered the windshield and also injured the driver, his 42-year-old cousin.

In the backseat were the two men’s sons, aged 13 and 15, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Anaheim Police Lt. Bob Dunn told the newspaper there was no clear motive for the attack, which took place at about 8 p.m. on the westbound 91 Freeway near the 57 Freeway interchange.

Dunn said detectives found no evidence it was the result of a road rage confrontation. He said Villegas had no criminal ties and was the sole provider for his family.

His cousin’s injuries were not life-threatening, and the teenagers in the car were unhurt, the reports said. The cousin was able to stop the truck and help his son call 911.

Local media said witnesses reported a dark or black Honda Accord may have been involved, but that there were no further details and that traffic had been heavy at that time of night.

Police did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

(Writing by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

[A man aims a handgun. Photo: Shutterstock.com, all rights reserved.]

Reuters
Reuters
Reuters.com brings you the latest news from around the world, covering breaking news in business, politics, technology, and more.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+