First ‘computer hacking’ arrest in Murdoch paper probe
LONDON — Police investigating the scandal that closed the News of the World tabloid made a first arrest Thursday over alleged computer hacking, extending the probe from phone hacking.
Officers from London’s Metropolitan Police arrested a 52-year-old man in Milton Keynes, northwest of London.
He was held “on suspicion of computer misuse act offences” and was in custody, said a police statement. Police did not reveal his identity.
A spokesman said it was the first arrest as part of Operation Tuleta, an investigation into claims that private detectives working for the tabloid might have illegally accessed computers as well as phones.
Police announced the computer-hacking probe in July, saying that a new team of officers had been established to examine claims which fell outside the remit of the phone-hacking investigation, Operation Weeting.
The Rupert Murdoch-owned News of the World was closed in July amid a storm of phone-hacking allegations, the most shocking of which was that a private investigator hacked into the phone of a murdered teenage girl.
Police have already made a string of arrests in the phone-hacking investigation.
These include Rebekah Brooks, who resigned as head of Murdoch’s British newspaper wing News International amid the scandal, and Andy Coulson, a former News of the World editor and Prime Minister David Cameron’s ex-media chief.
The scandal prompted the government to establish a judge-led inquiry into media standards, which started hearing witness testimony this week.
On Thursday, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and British actress Sienna Miller were testifying.