Stories Chosen For You
Mar-a-Lago has 100 rooms — and the FBI would still be searching if they didn't have an informant: ex-prosecutor
The sprawling logistics at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort are yet another indication that the FBI may have an informant inside his operation.
On Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal reported that "someone familiar with the stored papers told investigators there may be still more classified documents at the private club after the National Archives retrieved 15 boxes earlier in the year, people familiar with the matter said."
The 20-acre complex is sprawling.
"It was built in 1927 and had 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms and three bomb shelters," USA Today reported Tuesday. "It also had a 1,800-square-foot living room, 1,500-square-foot dining room, a theater, a 75-foot tower, 36,000 antique Spanish tiles and a nine-hole golf course."
The size of the resort could provide important clues, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig explained on CNN.
"I will tell you the one thing that separates the best cops, law enforcement agents, FBI agents from the rest is how good their informant network is," Honig said. "That's how you learn things, that's how you get inside of these organizations."
"And it's really not a surprise because I saw reporting earlier from Tom Foreman saying that Mar-a-Lago is 100 rooms and these are glitzy rooms with all sorts of chandeliers and closets and all that," Honig noted. "They would still be searching that today -- I mean that not hyperbolically — they would still be searching today if they did not know where to look."
"And so it's not at all surprising they had specific information, 'look here,' got what they needed, and out in a few hours," Honig concluded.
Watch below or at this link.
Elie Honig www.youtube.com
Albuquerque murder suspect's son arrested for allegedly lying on a federal gun background check: report
On Wednesday, The Daily Beast reported that the son of the suspect in at least two murders of Muslim men in Albuquerque, New Mexico has been arrested for an alleged violation of federal gun laws.
"Shaheen 'Maiwand' Syed was arrested on Tuesday and charged with allegedly buying two guns while using a fake address," reported Pilar Melendez. "In an affidavit criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court for New Mexico, prosecutors allege the younger Syed indicated he lived in Broward County, Florida, when purchasing two rifles in June 2021 in Albuquerque — when he had lived New Mexico for years."
"The discrepancy was revealed during an investigation into the elder Syed in connection with the July 26 killing of Aftab Hussein and the Aug. 1 killing of Muhammad Afzaal Hussain," said the report. "The AR-15 and AK-47 the young Syed allegedly bought are not mentioned in the criminal complaint against his father — but it does list guns that the pair bought together."
The killings the elder Syed is a suspect in have caused terror in the Muslim community in Albuquerque.
The elder Syed, who denies involvement in the killings, is a Sunni Muslim who, according to local mosque official Ahmad Assed, may have been targeting Muslim men out of rage that his daughter is marrying a Shi'a Muslim. And according to a separate Daily Beast report, the elder Syed has a long history of domestic abuse allegations against him.
"Among the wild array of arrests for battery and domestic violence detailed in court records obtained by The Daily Beast against Muhammad Syed, the 51-year-old has allegedly threatened to kill his daughter’s boyfriend, beat his wife in a state building, lacerated his son’s head with a metal spoon, kicked a Walmart employee, and punished his daughter after she refused to take her brother to college with her as an escort," reported Decca Muldowney, Kate Briquelet, and Pilar Melendez. "But despite the alleged years-long abuse, Syed never faced charges, in part, because his family always seemed to downplay the incident once police arrived at the scene."
On Wednesday, The Nevada Independent reported that Joey Gilbert, a former professional boxer turned personal injury attorney who ran for governor of Nevada on a pro-Trump platform, suffered a resounding loss in state court in his bid to overturn the results of the GOP gubernatorial primary.
"District Court Judge James Wilson issued the ruling for summary judgment in favor of Clark County sheriff and Republican gubernatorial nominee Joe Lombardo from the bench on Wednesday, blocking the election contest from proceeding further," reported Riley Snyder. "Gilbert’s election contest, filed after a statewide recount on July 15, heavily relied on testimony from Edward Solomon, identified by the suit as an 'expert mathematician,' who has alleged since the 2020 election that 'algorithms' have been responsible for switching votes in multiple states. Wilson called the Solomon report 'hearsay, first of all,' and said there was no showing that the information provided by 'the admitted non-expert Mr. Solomon … is the product of a reliable methodology.'"
"Gilbert lost his race to Lombardo by more than 26,000 votes in the June primary election, but refused to concede the race and later filed for a statewide recount that did not substantially change the results," said the report. "The recount and the legal challenge to the result have been funded by Reno-based cryptocurrency millionaire and conservative activist Robert Beadles. In a blog post after the hearing, Beadles said the case would be appealed to the state Supreme Court."
"Broadly speaking, the election contest lawsuit claims an 'illegal formula' was used to tabulate votes, and that the distribution of reported 2022 primary election results from mail, early and Election Day voters do not line up with expected results in a 'fair election,'" said the report. "Those claims center largely on a 40-page analysis from Solomon."
Gilbert, who was present at the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, ran a campaign laden with QAnon undertones. He released one ad that claimed billionaire philanthropists Bill Gates and George Soros "want to enslave every generation" and another promoting a Florida health official linked to a group whose leader claims "lizard people" run the government.
The Nevada Republican Party, which has separately been struggling with an attempted hostile takeover of a key county chapter by the Proud Boys, has pushed back against Gilbert's election fraud conspiracy theories, with party chair Mike McDonald telling the Las Vegas Review-Journal, "There's no indication that there's any fraud right now. It's disappointing that those comments come out of the Republican Party."