Stories Chosen For You
Tom Barrack gets a new 9-count indictment for scoring $374 million from UAE to allegedly push policy to Trump and the GOP
The new indictments for top Donald Trump Inaugural Committee president and fundraiser, Tom Barrack, were filed Monday and published publicly on Tuesday showing nine new charges.
One part of the court documents cite the influence Barrack had on former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who allegedly took Barrack's information and demanded a change to the Republican Party platform at the Republican National Convention meeting in 2016 involving the Saudi Royal Family.
The documents say: "The email from Person 1 advised that language 'that was anti the Saudi Royal Family was removed from the platform' of the U.S. political committee associated with the Candidate. The removed language had 'called for the release of 28 pages of sensitive documents gathered during the' investigation of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, which 'allegedly contain information that asserts involvement by the Saudi Government/Royals[.]'"
Legal analyst Marcy Wheeler noted that the documents do not include any of Barrack's not-yet-charged co-conspirators. There were previous suspicions that they would. There were specific questions about Manafort's role with Barrack. Manafort was previously pardoned by President Donald Trump, but such a pardon would not apply to any forthcoming indictments.
Another section of the document details Barrack's "efforts to obtain investments from the United Arab Emirates Sovereign Wealth Funds."
Barrack then secretly lobbied Trump in his ongoing trips to the White House after Trump was in office, the indictment says.
US investigators believe someone on board deliberately crashed a China Eastern flight in March, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, in what was China's deadliest air disaster in decades.
China Eastern flight MU5375 was travelling from Kunming to Guangzhou on March 21 when it inexplicably plunged from an altitude of 29,000 feet into a mountainside, killing all 132 people on board.
So-called black box flight data recorders recovered from the site were sent to the United States for analysis.
That data shows that someone -- possibly a pilot or someone who had forced their way into the cockpit -- input orders to send the Boeing 737-800 into a nosedive, according to Wall Street Journal, which cited people familiar with the probe.
"The plane did what it was told to do by someone in the cockpit," the Journal quoted "a person who is familiar with American officials' preliminary assessment" as saying.
US officials believe their conclusion is backed up by the fact that Chinese investigators have so far not indicated any problems with the aircraft or flight controls that could have caused the crash and would need to be addressed in future flights, the newspaper said.
Both the US National Transportation Safety Board and Boeing declined to comment on the investigation to AFP Tuesday.
According to a report from Boeing, investigators found no evidence of "anything abnormal," China's Civil Aviation Administration (CAAC) said in April.
In a statement, the CAAC said staff had met safety requirements before takeoff, the plane was not carrying dangerous goods and did not appear to have run into inclement weather, though the agency said a full investigation could take years.
In the immediate aftermath of the crash, China's ruling Communist Party moved quickly to control information, revving up its censorship machine as media outlets and local residents raced to the crash site.
It has maintained its tight grip over the narrative, with the preliminary probe leaving key questions unanswered.
After the fatal descent near the southern city of Wuzhou, authorities swiftly cordoned off a huge area and China's internet regulator announced it had scrubbed vast amounts of "illegal information" on the crash from China's tightly controlled web.
A social media hashtag bearing the plane's flight number appeared to be censored.
The crash was China's deadliest in around 30 years and dented the country's otherwise enviable flight safety record.
The Tops supermarket massacre in Buffalo on May 14 brought the resumption of an awful sequence of terror attacks that appeared to have tapered off with the onset of the COVID pandemic, when lockdown interrupted mass gatherings of people.
The years 2018 and 2019 brought a horrific spate of such shootings, both in the United States and abroad, that were carried out by white men motivated by the false belief that white people are threatened with extinction, a baseless theory known as “Great Replacement.” The massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh in October 2018 was carried out by a man who blamed Jews for resettling refugees in the United States. The man who gunned down Muslims at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand in March 2019 said in a manifesto that he wanted to show people he called “invaders” that “our lands will never be their lands.”
The perpetrator of the Congregation Chabad synagogue shooting a month later in Poway, Calif. apparently claimed to have been “inspired” by the Christchurch shooting. Then, in August 2019, a 21-year-old man drove 658 miles from the suburbs of Dallas to El Paso and opened fire in a crowded Walmart. In his manifesto, the shooter justified the deaths of 23 people, mostly Latino, as “a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas,” and lamented that “the Democrat party will own America” through “pandering heavily to the Hispanic voting bloc.”
The attack carried out last weekend by an 18-year-old white man who drove 208 miles from his home in rural New York state to a grocery store in a Black community in Buffalo was predictable, but his rationale was not original; the shooter’s manifesto included passages lifted wholesale from the Christchurch document.
The social media reaction on the far right to the Buffalo shooting reveals that election denial narratives have become increasingly intertwined with “Great Replacement” promotion since Jan. 6, 2021. Notably, Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s increasingly embraced “Great Replacement” theory, alongside Republican lawmakers Elise Stefanik and Matt Gaetz, beginning in 2021, a time when the far right and GOP were retrenching after the failed insurrection. Manufactured hysteria over “critical race theory” and transgender students also provided new lines of attack against progressive efforts to promote racial and gender equity in recent years.
Posts by Ryan Sanchez, a southern California white supremacist who was active in the “Stop the Steal” protests at Huntington Beach in late 2020, are representative of how extremists in the un-sanitized digital space on Telegram received news of the Buffalo shooting over the weekend. Like his mainstream GOP counterparts, Sanchez amplified “Great Replacement” theory while at the same time deflecting responsibility.
On Sunday, Sanchez posted a news item about a large group of migrants crossing into Texas, but then shifted into damage control in response to the Buffalo shooting by sharing an article that linked to the shooter’s manifesto while at the same time arguing that the attack was counter-productive for the movement. Other posts followed, including a forward from a Proud Boy-linked account defending a white supremacist polemicist whom they claimed was falsely accused of generating a meme used in the shooter’s manifesto, and an argument by Sanchez that President Biden was cynically exploiting the situation by traveling to Buffalo to highlight the attack.
On Monday, Sanchez switched back to posts about border crossings, using the words “invasion” and “invader.” One post explicitly promoted vigilante action, with Sanchez writing that he didn’t think “it would be hard to stop them from crossing, you’d just be facing one invader at a time,” while invoking an ancient Greek battle.
Commenters responded in the thread with explicit threats of violence, including “machine gun fire.”
“Democrats have to import new voters who rely on welfare,” the commenter wrote. “This is because they sterilize themselves & kill many of their own children in the womb. This is the only hope they have at appearing to have any kind of majority consensus. So that when they steal an election they can point to all of their new voters as proof that they didn’t cheat.”
By mid-day on Tuesday, Sanchez had removed the comments.
The link between the baseless assertion that the 2020 election was stolen and the false claim that white people are being replaced is not as tenuous as one might think, according to Samantha Kutner, a researcher who is working on a book about the Proud Boys.
“My grandfather, who passed away last year, he called me when 9/11 happened and he called me on January 6th,” Kutner told Raw Story. “He said, ‘Make no mistake, this was an effort to maintain white supremacy.’ If you think about January 6th from the context of ‘Great Replacement,’ the Proud Boys who stormed the Capitol weren’t just fighting Democrats to halt the electoral process. They genuinely believe Democrats are going to push for immigration policies that disempower white men.”
Nick Fuentes, a leader of the America First or “Groyper” movement, brought explicitly white nationalist messaging into the election denial movement in late 2020. His rhetoric expanded on the baseless claim that the Democrats were stealing the election by also appealing to anxiety among white people who feel that they are losing their country.
During a “Stop the Steal” rally in Atlanta on Nov. 20, 2020, Fuentes railed that communities were once “safe,” “orderly,” “cohesive” and “prosperous” have “been stolen from us” and that globalists are “bringing the Third World here” from Mexico, China and India.
Fuentes, who used his Telegram channel to explicitly promote “Great Replacement” following news of the Buffalo shooting, has cultivated relationships with the GOP leaders since Jan. 6. Rep. Paul Gosar, a prominent election denier from Arizona, spoke at Fuentes’ America First Political Action Conference in 2021. Earlier this year, Gosar returned to the event, along with Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McEachin and Arizona state Sen. Wendy Rogers.
After calling for the execution of political enemies, Rogers explicitly endorsed Fuentes and his followers at the conference, saying, “Nick and the other patriots in attendance at AFPAC: Keep doing what you’re doing what you are doing.”
While providing legitimacy and platform to Fuentes, Rogers and other GOP allies, alongside Carlson, are effectively mainstreaming extremism.
Hours after the massacre, Rogers posted on Gab and Telegram: “Fed boy summer has started in Buffalo.”
While deflecting blame from far-right politicians and media figures promoting “Great Replacement,” Rogers’ post implies the shooting was a false flag by a federal asset to create justification for a law enforcement crackdown on conservatives.
“It really does appear that pro-insurrection conservatives seem to be getting news from InfoWars, a hub for conspiracy theories,” Kutner said. “It’s also convenient for them, similar to the false claims after January 6th that antifascists were the real aggressors who stormed the Capitol. It’s all to deflect responsibility.”