I don’t know about you, but at our house, we’re taking full advantage of the next USA game against Ghana being on a Saturday to have some people over to watch the game. Evite lets you make a song list for your invitation, so I put in some songs about the world and about the USA and Americans, as did others. I was going to use one of them for the Friday Genius Ten, but there weren’t actually any songs on the list that were appropriately “go get ’em!” kind of songs. Pop music has been a wee bit sarcastic in the past 40+ years. So I thought I should go back to a time before that to find a song that’s quintessentially America and off the hook, for pumping up purposes. I settled on this for my original song. Leave your mixes in comments, suggestions for playlists for Saturday, or thoughts on whatever else is on your mind. As usual, open thread.
Original song: “Let’s Have A Party” by Wanda Jackson
1) “The Wallflower Song” by Etta James
2) “C’mon Everybody” by Eddie Cochran
3) “Hey! Bo Diddley” by Bo Diddley
4) “Shakin’ All Over” by Johnny Kid and the Pirates (even in a 50s-era rock mix, it’s impossible to avoid songs from England)
5) “Bluejean Bop” by Gene Vincent
6) “Goo Goo Muck” by The Cramps
7) “Big Red Rocket Of Love” by The Reverend Horton Heat
8) “That’ll Be The Day” by Buddy Holly and the Crickets
9) “Honey Don’t” by Carl Perkins
10) “Finger Poppin’ Time” by Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
Videos below the fold.
What are you doing to root for the USA?