I was a little late to the Janelle Monae bandwagon, but I picked up her LP, and I've been completely addicted. Monae has pulled off a task that very few can, which is to be both super poppy and arty weird. And don't flap your gums at me about Lady Gaga, who has a self-consciously weird public persona, but whose music isn't even in the same category of ear-catching freshness. My mind went to Roxy Music when I first heard it, but also to Prince and to Outkast. It isn't a surprise that her big single is with Big Boi, therefore.
So here's my Genius Ten. Leave yours in comments, or comment on whatever you like. As usual, this is an open thread.
Original song: "Tightrope" by Janelle Monae (featuring Big Boi)
1) "The Cell" by Eryka Badu
2) "Beep Me 911" by Missy Elliott
3) "Who's Gonna Save My Soul" by Gnarls Barkley
4) "How Long Do I Have To Wait For You" by Sharon Jones
5) "Nothing Even Matters" by Lauryn Hill
6) "Adore" by Prince
7) "Who's Loving You" by The Jackson 5
8) "Got To Give It Up" by Marvin Gaye
9) "All I Could Do Is Cry" by Etta James
10) "Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston
Videos below the fold.
And a little disco to get you going this morning: