I was woken up this morning by hard rain pounding on my window, which always and immediately puts me in mind of this song that I'm going to use to kick off the Genius Ten. Leave yours in comments, or a comment about whatever you like. Open thread.
Original song: "I Can't Stand The Rain" by Ann Peebles
Of course, this song was the sampling track behind Missy Elliott's awesome song "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)". Both are awesome to listen to, even back to back.
1) "Piece of My Heart" by Erma Franklin (This is, as far as I know, the original version, and Janis Joplin's sadly eclipsed it. Janis is awesome; this is better.)
2) "B-A-B-Y" by Carla Thomas
3) "Oh No, Not My Baby" by Maxine Brown
4) "Think (About It)" by Lyn Collins
5) "I'm Glad You're Mine" by Al Green
6) "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley
7) "Tramp" by Otis Redding
8) "Save Me" by Aretha Franklin
9) "How Long Do I Have To Wait For You" by Sharon Jones
10) "Every Little Bit Hurts" by Brenda Holloway
Videos below the fold.
And something more upbeat to get this Friday going: