STOCKHOLM — Whistleblowing website WikiLeaks said Monday it was planning to publish nearly three million more secret documents in its next mass release of confidential material, according to its Twitter feed.
WikiLeaks did not say when the release would be, nor on what subject, but the number of documents would be seven times larger than its release last month when it posted some 400,000 secret documents about the war in Iraq on its site.
“Next release is 7x the size of the Iraq War Logs. intense pressure over it for months. Keep us strong,” WikiLeaks said on its Twitter feed, adding a link to a donations website.
It would be WikiLeaks’ third mass release of classified documents after it published 77,000 secret US files on the Afghan conflict in July.
WikiLeaks argues the release of the documents, US-soldier authored incident reports from 2004 to 2009, has shed light on the wars, including allegations of torture by Iraqi forces and reports that suggested 15,000 additional civilian deaths in Iraq.
WikiLeaks’ announcement comes just days after Sweden issued an international arrest warrant for the website’s head, Australian Julian Assange, wanted for questioning related to rape and sexual molestation accusations.