Quantcast
Connect with us

US declined to investigate suspected Mossad assassination, cable shows

Published

on

The US government lied about a request from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government to probe the death of a Hamas military leader, according to a recently released US State Department cable from secrets outlet WikiLeaks.

Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Mabhouh was assassinated in a Dubai hotel in January 2010. Dubai officials have long suspected Israel intelligence agency Mossad was behind the killing and Israel has never denied responsibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

A cable released on Friday showed that the UAE government made a formal request for the US to provide credit card information about the suspects in the killing.

“On the margins of a meeting with visiting Secretary Chu, on Feb 24 MFA Minister of State Gargash made a formal request to the Ambassador for assistance in providing cardholder details and related information for credit cards reportedly issued by a U.S. bank to several suspects in last month’s killing of Hamas leader Mahmoud Al-Mabhouh in Dubai,” the cable said.

“Ambassador requests expeditious handling of and reply to the UAEG request, which was also raised by UAE Foreign Minister Abdullah bin Zayed in a February 23 meeting with Secretary Clinton in Washington.”

Cardholder information could have been a critical piece of evidence for Dubai authorities while the trail was hot.

Haaretz noted that the US denied reports last year that the request had been made.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It has long been doubted that the United States would assist in an investigation that would embarrass Israel,” George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley observed. “If true, this is another dangerous example of politics trumping principle.”

“What happens when we need information from UAE in a future case in pursuing, for example, an Iranian conspiracy. Countries may find themselves similarly ill-disposed to assist the United States,” he wrote.

Last week, Dubai police chief Dahi Khalfan predicted that a WikiLeaks release would confirm his charge that Mossad was behind the killing.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The leaked document will prove the truth about Mossad’s involvement, but there are certain people that will still deny it even with the leaked documents,” Khalfan told the English-language Gulf News.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Cheyenne River Sioux Chair offers to rip down Mount Rushmore— ‘Free of charge… by myself if I must’

Published

on

Describing the iconic South Dakota mountain carving that depicts the heads of famous U.S presidents as nothing but a monument to "our molesters," the chairman of the Cheyenne River Sioux Nation Harold Frazier this week said he would willingly tear down Mount Rushmore if given the chance—with or without help—and pay for its destruction personally.

As local communities, states, and nations worldwide contend with the legacies of racism, colonialism, and exploitation chiseled or molded into monuments of historic figures with bloody and contemptuous pasts, Frazier said in a statement Monday, "Nothing stands as a greater reminder to the Great Sioux Nation of a country that cannot keep a promise or treaty than the faces carved into our sacred land on what the United States calls Mount Rushmore."

Continue Reading

World

Late K-pop star’s ex jailed for sex video blackmail

Published

on

Seoul (AFP) - The ex-boyfriend of late K-pop star Goo Hara was jailed by an appeal court Thursday for blackmailing her over sex videos that played a part in her apparent suicide.In 2018, Goo -- a member of former girl group Kara -- told local media that her ex had threatened "to end her entertainment career" by leaking their sex videos.A CCTV clip of the couple showed the singer kneeling before him seemingly begging him not to.Goo was found dead at her home in November, and is widely believed to have taken her own life after being targeted by abusive online comments following the reports about... (more…)

Continue Reading
 

World

Millions switch to ‘local TikToks’ after India bans Chinese apps

Published

on

New Delhi (AFP) - Millions of Indians have joined homegrown social media platforms since New Delhi banned a slew of Chinese apps, including TikTok, amid growing tensions between the giant neighbours, industry officials said Thursday.The ban comes as India steps up economic pressure on China following a border battle last month in which 20 Indian soldiers died.The 59 banned apps include video-sharing giant TikTok, Helo and Likee, with authorities accusing them of activities "prejudicial" to the "sovereignty and integrity of India".Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has a huge social media profil... (more…)

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image