Mike Lindell’s attorneys defiantly skip meetings and refuse to turn over evidence in Dominion lawsuit
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell's attorneys are refusing to participate in court-ordered meetings or hand over discovery material in a $1.3 billion defamation suit filed against him by Dominion Voting Systems.
"In a filing submitted to the judge Monday night, the other lawyers in the case say that Lindell's lawyers stopped showing up to meetings designed to hash out a schedule for the case the day after Dominion's lawyers served them with a request for documents," Insider reported Tuesday. "The filing was signed by attorneys representing every other party in the case, including Dominion, Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, and Smartmatic."
Dominion is suing Lindell — along with Trump attorneys Powell and Giuliani — for spreading false conspiracy theories about its voting machines related to the 2020 election.
In September, US District Judge Carl J. Nichols ordered all of the parties to meet to hash out a schedule for discovery and other motions.
"But, after attending a few scheduling meetings, Lindell's lawyers informed the others on January 6 that they didn't want to participate in the scheduling conferences anymore," Insider reported. "Lindell's lawyers said they're planning to appeal Nichols's rejection of their motion to dismiss all the way to the Supreme Court, and that they wouldn't participate in discovery until then."
In related news, Dominion's attorneys said in a motion Monday that they do not believe the voting machine manufacturer will be able to reach settlements with the defendants.
"Given the devastating harm to Plaintiffs, the lack of remorse shown by Defendants, and the fact that many of them continue to double down on their lies, Plaintiffs do not believe any realistic possibility of settlement exists," Dominion's attorneys wrote.
Don Herzog, a University of Michigan law professor, told Reuters: "There's no particular incentive to settle with Giuliani or Powell, and it's not just the sadistic glee of making their lives miserable by forcing this to continue. It's that almost always, the party settling will stipulate in its terms of settlement: I don't concede that I did anything wrong. And unless they're nuts, what the corporation wants out of those two is exactly the acknowledgment that you did something wrong. So for them, there's a pressing interest to go to trial and make them lose."
In their filing, Dominion's attorneys asked Judge Nichols to set a deadline of Sept. 29 for discovery, with a trial anticipated in 2023. However, Giuliani and Powell have argued that a trial should not begin until May 2024 at the earliest.
'There's a reason they play him on Russian state TV': Nicolle Wallace burns Tucker Carlson for pro-Putin rants
"There’s a reason they play him every night on Russian state TV," said MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace on her Tuesday show about Fox host Tucker Carlson.
The comments came after Carlson's latest rant in support of Russia and Vladimir Putin appeared on Russian state television in which he just asked "questions" about why siding with Russia in its dispute with Ukraine was wrong.
"Why is it disloyal to side with Russia but loyal to side with Ukraine?" Carlson asked. "They're both foreign countries that don't care anything about the United States. Kind of strange."
Carlson then questioned why the United States belongs to NATO, the military alliance that Putin has relentlessly sought to weaken.
"It's not the first time Tucker Carlson has openly embraced dictators," Wallace said of the Fox personality. "He's been vocal in his support for Hungarian leader Viktor Orban. Last week, he announced he'll be broadcasting from that country for the second time in a year."
Wallace had her own questions for Carlson, demanding to know why a Fox host is so committed to tearing down America and embracing Putin and other dictators.
The guests suspected it was about television ratings or appeasing former President Donald Trump.
See the video discussion below:
Why does Tucker pick Russia over America www.youtube.com
The Department of Justice confirmed for the first time Tuesday that federal prosecutors are investigating fake pro-Trump electoral certificates submitted by Republicans in several states in December 2020.
The certificates were submitted to the National Archives by GOP electors in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Nevada and New Mexico.
Trump campaign officials, led by the former president's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, reportedly oversaw efforts to put forward the fake electors. Last week, a former Trump aide appeared on national TV and admitted to his role in organizing the fake electoral certificates.
At least two state attorneys general have said they referred investigations into the fake electoral certificates to the Department of Justice. Michigan AG Dana Nessel, a Democrat, has said she believes those responsible for the fake electoral certificates violated multiple state and federal laws.
On Tuesday, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told CNN: "We've received those referrals. Our prosecutors are looking at those and I can't say anything more on ongoing investigations."
"Monaco did not go into detail about what else prosecutors are looking at from the partisan attempt to subvert the 2020 vote count," CNN reported. "She said that, more broadly, the Justice Department was 'going to follow the facts and the law, wherever they lead, to address conduct of any kind and at any level that is part of an assault on our democracy.' This is the first time that the Justice Department has commented on requests from lawmakers and state officials that the it investigate the fake certifications."