WASHINGTON — The United States on Monday defended the choice of veteran diplomat Frank Wisner to head a mission to Egypt even though he works for a firm with past work for President Hosni Mubarak’s government.
Wisner was at the center of controversy Saturday when he suggested that Mubarak should stay in power during a democratic transition in the protest-hit nation. President Barack Obama’s administration quickly distanced itself.
The retired diplomat has served as ambassador to Egypt, India and other nations. He has worked since 2009 for Patton Boggs, a US law firm that represented interests of Egypt and several other Arab states in the past.
Read more at ThinkProgress: US envoy to Egypt Frank Wisner’s law firm has represented the Mubarak regime in the past
State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said that the administration knew of Wisner’s employment with Patton Boggs but believed he was a “distinguished diplomat” who knew Egypt.
“We felt that he was uniquely positioned to have the kind of conversation that we felt needed to be done in Egypt,” Crowley told reporters.
Asked about Wisner, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that the State Department “selected him based on his experience with Egyptian policy.”
Ed Newberry, a spokesman for Patton Boggs, said that the firm represented Egyptian interests until the mid-1990s, well before Wisner joined.
Asked about the criticism, Newberry said: “It’s all based on the premise that we represent the government of Egypt, which is incorrect.”
Wisner’s role came under fire Monday from Robert Fisk, a veteran correspondent for the British newspaper The Independent who is often critical of US policy in the Middle East.
“Why on earth was he sent to talk to Mubarak, who is in effect a client of Mr Wisner’s current employers?” wrote Fisk, who said that Wisner’s actions shocked Egypt’s democratic opposition and raised questions on Obama’s judgment.
Despite distancing itself from Wisner’s call for Mubarak to stay for now, the Obama administration has agreed that it would be difficult to organize free elections on a tight deadline and called for an “orderly transition.”
A senior US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, suggested that Wisner was selected because he could deliver a “candid” message as current US diplomats may not have.
“He has a longstanding relationship with President Mubarak. We thought it was beneficial for him to be able to deliver the message,” the official said.
Rudy Giuliani sneaked off to meet Ukrainian officials in Madrid about Biden conspiracy theories: report
On Wednesday, The New York Times reported that President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani secretly traveled to Madrid in recent weeks to meet with a top aide of new Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to go fishing for dirt on Democrats.
One of the key focuses of Giuliani's phone calls and in-person meetings was to try to dig up evidence that former Vice President Joe Biden acted improperly to remove a Ukrainian prosecutor investigating an energy company his son was invested in — which has been broadly discredited as conspiracy theories. He also tried to hunt for proof that Ukrainian officials colluded with Democrats to hurt Trump's campaign in 2016, a claim which is not supported by evidence.
At least eight prison officials knew Epstein wasn’t supposed to be left alone — but they did it anyway: report
On Wednesday, the Washington Post reported that at least eight staffers at the Bureau of Prisons were aware that arrested hedge fund manager Jeffrey Epstein could be a risk to himself if left unsupervised — raising further questions about why exactly guards left him to his own devices on the night that he allegedly hanged himself.
Investigators reportedly believe that at least some of these officials were aware that he had been left alone. It is unclear why nobody intervened, and the Justice Department is continuing with its investigation. Attorney General William Barr recently ordered the removal of the acting director of the Bureau of Prisons.
Russian disqualified from Tango competition for punching his partner
A Russian participant in the World Tango Championships in Buenos Aires has been disqualified for violence towards his partner, the organizers said Wednesday.
The incident happened after the duo, a husband and wife, took part in the semi-final of the competition on Tuesday in the Argentine capital.
Organizers condemned the assault plus "assisted the victim and made the decision to disqualify the dancer," said a source with the Championships who declined to be named.
Officials did not name the couple in order "to preserve the identity of the victim who declined to file a complaint."