Quantcast
Connect with us

Gantz appointed new Israel military chief

Published

on

JERUSALEM (AFP) – Israel appointed Major General Benny Gantz as new military chief on Sunday, ending months of bitter infighting among top generals as it grapples with political changes sweeping the region.

Gantz, 51, replaces Lieutenant General Gabi Ashkenazi, whose term as chief of staff of the armed forces ends on Monday.

“General Benny Gantz is an excellent officer and an experienced commander,” said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after the cabinet unanimously approved him as next chief of staff.

Netanyahu said he hoped Gantz would help heal the rifts in the military, especially at a time of uncertainty in the Middle East.

“This appointment will held stabilise the Israel Defence Forces. This is always important, but even more so at this time of deep tremors that have hit our region,” Netanyahu said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Israel is nervously watching developments in the region following the fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Friday after 18 days of nationwide protests which drew hundreds of thousands on to the streets.

Massive rallies turned to a jubilant city-wide party after Mubarak handed power to the military, which has vowed to carry out a transition to a democratically elected civilian government.

The military reassured Israel on Saturday that Cairo would continue to respect its 1979 peace treaty with the Jewish state, in a statement immediately welcomed by Netanyahu.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The longstanding peace treaty between Israel and Egypt has greatly contributed to both countries and is the cornerstone for peace and stability in the entire Middle East,” Netanyahu said in his initial reaction on Saturday.

Despite the assurances, Israel is still nervously watching its southern neighbour, fearful that the fall of Mubarak could allow for the rise of an Islamist government which could break off the peace treaty.

With the Islamist Hamas in control of the Gaza Strip, events in Egypt — described by some analysts as a political tsunami — could directly threaten Israel’s stability and challenge its military.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gantz, a former deputy chief of staff, was second choice for the tough post after the general initially designated for the job was disqualified over allegations that he had illegally grabbed land around a luxury villa he built.

The discarded candidate, Major General Yoav Galant, who was nominated for the post last year, told local media he was the victim of a conspiracy by his rivals.

The bitter infighting was dubbed the “battle of the generals” during which an allegedly forged document aimed at discrediting Galant was circulated.

ADVERTISEMENT

The turmoil also led to a deep rift between Defence Minister Ehud Barak and Ashkenazi, with the two no longer on speaking terms. Galant was seen as Barak’s candidate.

Barak adopted a conciliatory tone during Sunday’s cabinet meeting, describing Gantz as “talented, rich in experience and accepted by all the generals.

“We salute General Gantz and wish him well as the next chief of staff,” Barak said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Born on June 9, 1959 in the southern village of Kfar Achim, Gantz joined the army as a conscript in 1977, completing the tough selection course for the paratroops.

In 1979, he graduated officers’ school, and went on to serve as a paratroop company commander and platoon commander.

In 1989, he became head of Shaldag, the air force’s special commando unit, and in 1994 he returned to the army to command a brigade and later a division in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

ADVERTISEMENT

He has also served as the head of the army liaison unit dealing with UN forces in Lebanon and the Lebanese army, as commander of the northern Israel region, covering the Lebanon and Syria borders, and as head of ground forces.

In 2007, he became military attache to the United States, returning to Israel and in September 2009 becoming Ashkenazi’s deputy.

Gantz has a BA in history from Tel Aviv University, a masters degree in Political Science from Haifa University and a masters in national resource management from the National Defence University in the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

He is married and a father of four.


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Free Digga D’: Scotland Yard Twitter and emails hacked

Published

on

London's Metropolitan Police apologized Saturday after its Twitter, emails and news pages were targeted by hackers and began pumping out a series of bizarre messages.

After a series of messages late Friday that read simply "test" or seemingly random letters, the police sites began using foul language with anti-police sentiment and calling for a jailed rapper to be released.

"Free Digga D," said one such message.

The Met Police's Twitter account has 1.22 million followers.

Scotland Yard police headquarters said its internal IT infrastructure had not been hacked, explaining the issue was limited to its press office's online provider, MyNewsDesk, which put news releases online to the public.

Continue Reading

Facebook

What is at stake in the Strait of Hormuz?

Published

on

Tensions between the United States, Iran and other countries are flaring again in the Strait of Hormuz.

There are competing explanations for what’s going on in the narrow seaway through which 21% of the world’s crude oil currently passes.

Most of the reports of attacked tankers, smuggled oil and downed drones involve Iran and the United States. But the oil and the tankers involved also belong to other countries, including Japan, Norway and the U.K.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Vatican opens two burial chambers discovered under a trapdoor in hunt for princesses and missing teen

Published

on

The Vatican on Saturday opened two burial chambers discovered under a trapdoor as it attempts to get to the bottom of a riddle involving two 19th century princesses and a teenager who went missing 36 years ago.

The ossuaries were found last week under the floor of the Pontifical Teutonic College after the shock discovery earlier this month that the bones of the princesses had disappeared from two tombs in the Teutonic Cemetery.

The graves of Princess Sophie von Hohenlohe and Princess Charlotte Federica of Mecklenburg, who died in 1836 and 1840, had been exhumed after an anonymous tip-off that they may hold the remains of an Italian youngster.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image