Quantcast
Connect with us

Mona Lisa model was a male, say Italian researchers

Published

on

ROME — Italian researchers who specialize in resolving art mysteries said Wednesday they have discovered the disputed identity of the model for Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa — and claimed he was a man.

Silvano Vinceti, chairman of the Italian national committee for cultural heritage, said the Florence-born Renaissance artist’s male apprentice and possible lover Salai was the main inspiration for the picture.

ADVERTISEMENT

However his claim was immediately disputed by experts at the Louvre in Paris, where the painting is on display.

Salai, real name Gian Giacomo Caprotti, an effeminate young artist who worked with da Vinci for 25 years, is thought to have served as a model and muse for several of his paintings. The pair had an “ambiguous” relationship and were probably lovers, Vinceti said.

Comparisons between the facial characteristics of figures from several of da Vinci’s works — such as “St. John the Baptist” and the “Angel Incarnate” — reveal striking similarities with the Mona Lisa’s nose and mouth, he said.

“There are remarkable similarities,” Vinceti told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

What is more, Vinceti said da Vinci had left clues to the model’s identity in tiny letters L and S which he and his team found painted into the eyes of the Mona Lisa.

“Close examination of a high-quality digital copy of the portrait had revealed an L for Leonardo and an S for Salai,” he said.

But Vinceti’s claims have been disputed by the Louvre museum.

ADVERTISEMENT

The museum said it had carried out “every possible laboratory test possible” on the picture in 2004 and then again in 2009, and insisted that “no inscriptions, letters or numbers, were discovered during the tests.”

“The aging of the painting on wood has caused a great number of cracks to appear in the paint, which have caused a number of shapes to appear that have often been subject to over-interpretation,” the Louvre told AFP.

The museum also said Vinceti’s had made his claims without having had access to the painting itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Italian aficionado, whose team gained notoriety with their claims surrounding the death of Caravaggio last year, said he felt sorry for the embarrassment the museum must feel on having missed the clues all these years.

“I can understand their incredulity and amazement — after all this must be the most studied picture on earth,” he told AFP, but added “they’re really blind.”

“They have to be serious and accept that they didn’t see what was right in front of their eyes,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

In order to clear up any lingering doubt over his theory — worthy of Dan Brown’s 2003 bestseller the “Da Vinci Code” — Vinceti said he would be willing to take his team to France and collaborate on further tests with the Louvre.

“We’re ready to go to Paris and extract a tiny bit of paint from the numbers and see whether they match the rest of the painting, to see if they were done at the same time or are marks that have appeared over time,” he said.

Whether the prestigious art museum will take Vinceti up on his offer is yet to be seen.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Corey Lewandowski: Who cares if Trump asked me to obstruct justice — I went to the beach instead

Published

on

Following his hours-long hostile back-and-forth with the House Judiciary Committee, President Donald Trump's former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski appeared on Fox News to downplay the most serious revelation from the testimony — his confirmation of former special counsel Robert Mueller's report that the president ordered him to tell former Attorney General Jeff Sessions to shut down the Russia investigation.

This fact increases the evidence that Trump obstructed justice — but as far as Lewandowski was concerned, it was no big deal, and he explained why to Fox anchor Martha MacCallum.

Continue Reading

Facebook

WATCH: Corey Lewandowski goes down in flames when faced with his own lies

Published

on

Much to the chagrin of the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee, Democrats allowed staff to ask questions of Corey Lewandowski. Republicans had done the same thing during the questioning of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford when she testified during the Senate hearing for then-Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

When faced with his own words, Lewandowski was forced to admit that he lies on television constantly. Committee staffer Barry Berke showed clips of Lewandowski on cable news shows saying that there was nothing he was afraid of talking about because he knows he never did anything wrong. He told hosts that he had no intention of declaring his Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination. Yet, when faced with questions about

Continue Reading
 

CNN

‘Really, really damaging’: CNN legal analyst breaks down how the Lewandowski hearing was a disaster for Trump

Published

on

President Donald Trump, by all accounts, loved his former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski's performance in the House Judiciary Committee testimony on Russia and obstruction of justice — as did many of the grandstanding Republicans at the hearing like ranking member Doug Collins (R-GA).

But as Lawfare Institute general counsel and CNN legal analyst Susan Hennessey stated on "The Situation Room," the hearing was actually incredibly damning to the president.

"Lewandowski was performing for the president," said political analyst Gloria Borger. "He was performing for Republicans in the state of New Hampshire. If he decides to run for the Senate. And Republicans did get an opportunity today ... to sort of shove it back to the Democrats and say, look, you guys, Barack Obama knew about the Russian meddling, why didn't you tell us."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image