KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AFP) – The Taliban unleashed a coordinated wave of attacks on government targets in the key southern Afghan city of Kandahar Saturday, killing at least two people and wounding 29.
President Hamid Karzai charged that the violence was “revenge” for this week’s killing of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden by US troops in Pakistan, but the Taliban said the operation was planned several weeks ahead.
Targets in the first major incident since the Taliban unveiled the start of its spring offensive included the offices of the governor, mayor and intelligence service plus two schools and several police offices.
The violence in the Taliban’s heartland city kicked off around 1:00 pm (0930 GMT) when militants with guns and rocket-propelled grenades holed up in nearby buildings and attacked the governor’s office.
Later on, ten explosions including six suicide blasts, two car bombs and two rickshaw bombs rocked the city.
Provincial governor Tooryalai Wesa, who was in his compound as the attack took place, revealed details of casualties in a press conference while officials stressed the fighting was not yet over.
“As a result of today’s terrorist attacks, 29 people were injured and two were killed. Ten members of security forces are among the injured,” Wesa said.
A statement from his office added: “Our brave security forces have repulsed all enemy attacks but their resistance is still continuing in one area… but will soon be over.”
The two buildings close to the governor’s office, the focal point of the attacks, are now thought to have been almost been cleared, although aircraft targeting insurgents were circling in the skies above.
However, fighting near the National Directorate of Security (NDS) office was ongoing where insurgents occupied a six-storey hotel.
Karzai’s office issued a strong condemnation of the attacks, linking them to Al-Qaeda and the death of bin Laden.
“Al-Qaeda and its terrorist members who have suffered a major defeat with the killing of Osama bin Laden in Pakistani territory have tried to hide this defeat by killing civilians in Kandahar and take their revenge on the innocent people of Afghanistan,” the statement said.
The Taliban claimed the attacks, with spokesman Yusuf Ahmadi saying that “heavy casualties have been inflicted on the enemy”.
The militia had warned on Friday that this week’s killing of bin Laden by US would give “a new impetus” to their fight against foreign and Afghan forces.
But Ahmadi said the Kandahar attacks were planned for nearly three weeks and were part of the start of the Taliban’s annual spring offensive announced last week.
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), Major General James Laster, described as a “spring offensive spectacular attack which was thwarted”.
NATO-led ISAF troops fought alongside Afghan forces against the insurgents.
There are around 130,000 international troops in Afghanistan, two-thirds of them from the United States, battling the Taliban and other insurgents.
Limited withdrawals from seven relatively peaceful areas, only one of which is in southern Afghanistan, are due to start in July ahead of the planned end of foreign combat operations in 2014.
International forces claim that Kandahar and the surrounding area are now safer following months of intense fighting to clear traditional Taliban strongholds.
But government officials and other targets are still frequently targeted by militants in the city, the biggest in Afghanistan’s south.
Nearly 500 Taliban prisoners escaped from Kandahar’s prison last month through a huge tunnel in a major embarrassment for the authorities.
Also in April, Kandahar’s police chief was killed by an attacker in a police uniform, while in January Wesa’s deputy was killed.
Warning against ‘another endless war,’ Ilhan Omar says congress must act to stop Trump from attacking Iran
"Congress has the constitutional right to declare war. The president doesn't have it. The secretary of state doesn't have it. And Saudi Arabia certainly doesn't have it."
With President Donald Trump firing off menacing tweets and the White House working to blame Iran—on the basis of flimsy evidence—for attacks on Saudi oil facilities over the weekend, Rep. Ilhan Omar said Monday night that Congress must act urgently to prevent Trump from launching another catastrophic military conflict in the Middle East.
Britain’s Supreme Court enters Brexit crisis
Britain's Supreme Court began considering legal challenges Tuesday to Prime Minister Boris Johnson's controversial decision to suspend parliament for over a month, as the country's political crisis over Brexit intensifies.
The court started hearing three days of arguments over Johnson's move to shutter, or prorogue, the House of Commons last week until October 14 -- just two weeks before the country is scheduled to leave the European Union.
The politically-charged case, unprecedented in Britain, could lead to parliament being recalled and Johnson's political hand severely weakened in the run-up to the October 31 departure date.
‘Trump loves the best people.’: Critics decry Trump’s decision to join India’s Modi onstage at Houston event
"I don't know what's more embarrassing—that Modi will appear beside Trump or that Trump will appear beside Modi. Both countries have my condolences."
Critics called U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to join Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and a bipartisan gaggle of American lawmakers at an event in Houston on September 22 expected to be attended by over 50,000 people another example of the president's affection for authoritarian leaders.