Quantcast
Connect with us

Cell phones ‘don’t cause cancer’: study

Published

on

LONDON — Scientific evidence goes increasingly against the theory that mobile phones cause cancer, a new study has concluded.

The review carried out for the Institute of Cancer Research found “no convincing evidence of a link” between the technology and brain tumours.

The panel, set up by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, admitted however that the possibility of small or long-term repercussions could not be ruled out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Their conclusions follow a wide-ranging study – the largest of its kind to date – which claimed that radiation associated with mobile handsets potentially increases the risk of glioma, a malignant form of the disease.

While the panel accepted the Interphone study findings were “comprehensive”, they identified some problems with the study’s design which made it difficult to draw definite conclusions.

The results, in conjunction with those revealed by a series of similar studies, showed no increases in brain tumours up to 20 years after the introduction of mobile phones, and a decade after their use became widespread.

Extensive research also failed to establish any biological explanation for how handsets could possibly cause cancer in humans while animals exposed to radiation appeared unaffected, they said.

However the group, led by the ICR’s Professor Anthony Swerdlow, said uncertainty was bound to remain for years because research could not prove the complete absence of harmful side-effects.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The results of Interphone and other epidemiological, biological and animal studies, and brain tumour incidence trends, suggest that within 10 to 15 years after first use of mobile phones, there is unlikely to be a material increase in the risk of brain tumours in adults,” Swerdlow said.

“However, the possibility of a small or a longer term effect cannot be ruled out.”

Examination of cancer rates during the next few years is expected to clarify the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If there are no apparent effects on trends in the next few years, after almost universal exposure to mobile phones in Western countries, it will become increasingly implausible that there is a material causal effect,” he added.

“Conversely, if there are unexplained rising trends, there will be a case to answer.”

ADVERTISEMENT

David Spiegelhalter, Winton Professor of the public understanding of risk at the University of Cambridge, said: “This report is clear that any risk appears to be so small that it is very hard to detect – even in the masses of people now using mobile phones.”

David Coggon, professor of occupational and environmental medicine at the University of Southampton, said the review was “carefully considered” and its conclusions “justified”.

“Continued research is needed in case there are harmful effects in the longer term,” he added, “but the news so far is good.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Minneapolis police station burns after protesters reportedly seize the building

Published

on

On Thursday night, the Minneapolis Police Department's third precinct was destroyed.

Here are some of the images from the scene.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Don Lemon blasts Trump — and explains why nobody wants to hear from him on George Floyd’s murder

Published

on

CNN anchor Don Lemon slammed U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald for invoking President Donald Trump on Thursday.

“I know she has a tough job, but guess what, as long as we are being honest right now, nobody wants to hear from the White House or the attorney general right now,” Lemon said. “No one wants to hear from the man who wanted the death penalty to come back for the Central Park Five.”

“No one wants to hear from the man who says that the former president was not born in this country. No one wants to hear from the man who said there are ‘very fine people on both sides.’ Do you understand what I am saying?” he asked.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Shocking videos as Minneapolis burns — after authorities refuse to arrest George Floyd’s killer

Published

on

Minnesota is experiencing another evening of devastating protests on Thursday after Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman and US Attorney Erica MacDonald held a press conference where they announced the investigations of George Floyd's killing were continuing, but no arrests had been made.

Here are some of the images from the scene:

https://twitter.com/AndrewMannix/status/1266191109891469313

https://twitter.com/NFerraroPiPress/status/1266191727129477120

https://twitter.com/EChalouxKSTP/status/1266196683957964801

https://twitter.com/WCCO/status/1266192653978304512

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image