Quantcast
Connect with us

Obama admits economic message unsatisfactory

Published

on

VINEYARD HAVEN, Massachusetts — US President Barack Obama admitted in an interview aired on Sunday that Americans struggling to find work were not satisfied with his claim to have rescued the US economy.

“You’ve got an unemployment rate that is still too high, an economy that’s not growing’ fast enough,” Obama said in an interview with CBS News taped during his economic-themed bus tour of three states last week.

“For me to argue, look, we’ve actually made the right decisions, things would have been much worse had we not made those decisions, that’s not that satisfying if you don’t have a job right now.

“And I understand that and I expect to be judged a year from now on whether or not things have continued to get better,” Obama said, referring to his unfolding 2012 reelection bid.

The president dismissed fears of a second recession which have caused stock markets to plunge in recent days, but argued that outside factors like the European debt crisis, Japan’s tsunami and the Arab spring had hit economic growth.

“I don’t think we’re in danger of another recession, but we are in danger of not having a recovery that’s fast enough to deal with what is a genuine unemployment crisis for a whole lot of folks out there — and that’s why we need to be doing’ more,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hardening his tone, Obama has accused Republicans of blocking his plans to create jobs and revive the economic recovery, and of putting their own political gain ahead of their nation’s needs.

Currently on vacation on Martha’s Vineyard, a well-heeled resort island off Massachusetts, Obama has promised to unveil a major jobs and deficit-cutting program in September, when lawmakers return to Washington.

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump lashes out at US women’s soccer player for refusing to visit the White House

Published

on

President Donald Trump lashed out at a U.S. women's national soccer team who has publicly criticized him.

Team co-captain Megan Rapinoe, who joined former NFL player Colin Kaepernick's kneeling protest during the National Anthem, strongly denied that she would accept the president's invitation to visit the White House if her squad wins the Women’s World Cup now underway.

“I’m not going to the f*cking White House,” Rapinoe told Eight by Eight Magazine, saying she doubted Trump would risk inviting them. “We’re not gonna be invited. I doubt it.”

Trump has canceled visits by other championship teams, such as this year’s Philadelphia Eagles, after most of the players vowed to decline the invitation.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Damning new details emerge on letter Trump drafted that explicitly linked Comey’s firing to Russia probe

Published

on

The latest report from journalist Murray Waas in the New York Review of Books offers damning new details about a letter that President Donald Trump drafted that explicitly linked the firing of former FBI Director James Comey to the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Waas, who claims that he has personally examined the draft, reports that the original draft of Trump's letter justifying Comey's dismissal made it plain that he was displeased with the FBI for investigating whether the Trump campaign helped Russia interfere in the election.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

George Conway annihilates Trump’s claim that Twitter censors him

Published

on

On Wednesday, following Trump's virtually incomprehensible rant on Fox Business about how Twitter is secretly stifling his content, conservative lawyer George Conway posted a scathing rebuke of his behavior:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1143868020424617989?s=21

George Conway, the husband of Trump's former campaign manager and counselor Kellyanne Conway, has been a frequent and vocal critic of the president's behavior.

Republicans have increasingly scapegoated an imagined political conspiracy of social media companies for every problem that they have online, claiming that there is a plot to censor or "shadow ban" conservative content.

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

The 2020 election needs you. There are 18 months until the election, and the Supreme Court is on the line. I'm trying to add journalists to do more exclusive reports. Let me get rid of the ads for you, and put your support toward 100% progressive reporting. Want to ensure your voice is heard? Join me and restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

HELP TAKE BACK AMERICA
close-link