Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Occupy London’ protesters allowed to stay until 2012: lawyer

Published

on

LONDON — Anti-capitalist protesters camped outside London’s St Paul’s Cathedral will be allowed to remain until at least the New Year, a lawyer for the group said after a meeting city authorities Wednesday.

Lawyer John Cooper, who has advised the Occupy London Stock Exchange (OLSX) group since the first day of their protest, revealed on micro-blogging website Twitter that city authorities had offered his clients a “deal to stay until New Year.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The lawyer said he would be advising OLSX while they considered the offer.

Greg Williams, head of media for local authority The City of London Corporation, would not confirm or deny the 2012 deadline when contacted by AFP.

Protesters, who were inspired by a similar occupation of New York’s Wall Street, later confirmed the offer and said they hoped the deadline could be extended further.

Relaying information from the group’s general assembly, demonstrator Steve Rushton told AFP that Cooper had “asserted that we have been given leave to stay until December 31.”

“That should give us a good chance to continue the dialogue and hopefully it will be ongoing after that,” he added. “It will be great that we can stay until at least then and then look forward to continuing it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The City of London Corporation tweeted that it had met representatives of the camp for a “constructive meeting”, in which they outlined their responsibilities regarding public highways and planning.

“Our aim is agreement (without prejudice) regarding reducing camp size and limiting duration,” it added.

Protest planner Tina Rothery said the group was debating a request from the authority to remove some tents in order to make space for the fire service.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There’s a hindrance of access for St Paul’s churchyard,” she said. “We’re not blocking it but they would like more space.”

St Paul’s Cathedral and the city authorities on Tuesday suspended planned legal action against the protesters, who set up camp on October 15.

ADVERTISEMENT

The management of St Paul’s said it had unanimously agreed to suspend action against the demonstrators, who have turned the churchyard into a sprawling campsite and triggered turmoil in the cathedral hierarchy.

The head of St Paul’s quit on Monday after facing criticism for attempts to move on the protesters.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump is now feuding with Iran’s Supreme Leader on Twitter: ‘Make Iran Great Again!’

Published

on

President Donald Trump is now replying directly to Iran Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Twitter.

I Friday, Khamenei tweeted a screenshot of a Trump tweet, with a message of his own.

"The villainous US govt repeatedly says that they are standing by the Iranian ppl. They lie. If you are standing by the Iranian ppl, it is only to stab them in the heart with your venomous daggers," Khamenei posted.

"Of course, you have so far failed to do so, & you will certainly continue to fail," he added.

https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1218141834842660864

Trump retweeted the message, adding his own argument.

Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Contempt of Congress is illegal’ declared one of Trump’s newest attorneys – just days before the House voted to impeach

Published

on

One of the lesser-known names on the new list of lawyers President Donald Trump approved to defend him during the Senate impeachment trial delivered a damning remark last month – damning for President Trump, that is.

"Contempt of Congress is illegal," said Robert Ray, who served as the final Whitewater independent counsel after Ken Starr.

The Washington Post's Paul Waldman and Greg Sargent report Ray made the stunning remark – one of the Articles of Impeachment essentially is contempt of Congress, or technically, obstruction of Congress – to The Daily Signal, a right wing website run by the conservative Heritage Foundation.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump raises tensions in Virginia as local authorities fear Richmond gun rally could be the next Charlottesville

Published

on

President Donald Trump appeared to pour gasoline on a political fire in Virginia only days before a far-right protest that many are worried could result in violence.

Gun activists have been threatening civil war if the commonwealth's legislature enacts new gun safety legislation.

Right-wing militias sought to organize an armed action at the capitol, but Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency to prevent firearms on the grounds.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image