Quantcast
Connect with us

Cain says campaign plans rest with wife

Published

on

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (Reuters) – Republican presidential hopeful Herman Cain, battling allegations of infidelity, said on Wednesday he would decide whether to continue his campaign after a face-to-face talk with his wife.

While vowing not to end his candidacy over accusations he had a long-term affair, the former pizza company executive said a frank talk on Friday with Gloria, his wife of 43 years, would be a big part of a “reassessment” of his White House bid.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I have talked to my wife many times since Monday about this situation. I have not talked to her about this face to face,” Cain told reporters after rallying supporters at his New Hampshire campaign headquarters in Manchester.

Once a frontrunner in the race to challenge President Barack Obama in 2012, Cain called recent reports that he had an affair with an Atlanta-area woman “character assassination” and “conviction in the court of public opinion.”

He has said he will decide within “several days” whether to stay in the race.

Earlier, at rallies in Ohio, Cain said most of his supporters were sticking with him despite the latest controversy, which came amid accusations he had sexually harassed a number of women. He accused his critics of trying to bring down his upstart White House bid.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They want you to believe that with enough character assassination on me that I will drop out,” a defiant Cain said in Dayton, drawing a chorus of “boos” from the crowd.

Cain, who has denied the affair and harassment accusations, did not rule out other potential accusers emerging. “My career was in business for over 40 years. I have worked with thousands of people. I can’t possibly say that someone wont trump up another allegation. It just goes with the territory.”

Cain, 65, denies having an affair with Ginger White, who says their 13-year, on-and-off relationship began in the mid-1990s. He said he thought she was a friend and he was simply giving her financial assistance.

ADVERTISEMENT

The candidate, who led the Republican race barely more than a month ago, has nosedived in polls after being hit by sexual harassment charges from four women and stumbling recently on the campaign trail.

He raised alarm among conservatives with confusing comments about abortion and badly fumbled a question on Libya policy.

A Reuters/Ipsos poll found Cain’s departure would do little to change the race, with his depleted support carved up among the field. Top rivals Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich would gain the most, with bumps of about 3 percentage points each, while other contenders would pick up slightly less.

ADVERTISEMENT

‘MORE CONVINCED’

The allegation of an affair came five weeks before Iowa kicks off the state nominating contests, giving Cain little time to resurrect his once high-flying campaign.

But he said on Wednesday there was “a groundswell of support” for his candidacy after White’s claims. The new disclosures have not sparked widespread defections.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some of those in Ohio who came to hear Cain speak said they were willing to give the candidate a chance.

“I am more convinced than I ever was. I believed him and I am going to donate to him and vote for him,” said Christine Bolte, 46, a substitute teacher who is working as a cashier at Wal-Mart to help pay her bills.

In New Hampshire, which will hold a closely-watched primary contest in January, Cain said fundraising slumped the day the Ginger White scandal broke, but had started to bounce.

ADVERTISEMENT

“As the week has gone on and this woman who has made these accusations has started to contradict herself, our fundraising has gone up,” he said.

White told ABC’s “Good Morning America” program that she remained in contact with Cain until last week.

“I’ve received gifts and money for the last 2-1/2 years, consistently,” White said, adding Cain also took her on several trips. But she said he sought nothing in return.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This was not sex for cash,” White said.

ABC said White’s phone records for October and November show numerous text exchanges with Cain, including daily contact in early November as reports emerged of sexual harassment allegations from other women.

(Reporting by Jason McLure in Manchester and Eric Johnson in Dayton, Ohio; Writing by John Whitesides and Ros Krasny; Editing by Mohammad Zargham, Philip Barbara and Paul Simao)

ADVERTISEMENT

mochila insert follows

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and legal efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. And unlike other news outlets, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from billionaires and corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you. Click to donate by check.

Enjoy this piece?

… then let us make a small request. Like you, we here at Raw Story believe in the power of progressive journalism — and we’re investing in investigative reporting as other publications give it the ax. Raw Story readers power David Cay Johnston’s DCReport, which we've expanded to keep watch in Washington. We’ve exposed billionaire tax evasion and uncovered White House efforts to poison our water. We’ve revealed financial scams that prey on veterans, and efforts to harm workers exploited by abusive bosses. We’ve launched a weekly podcast, “We’ve Got Issues,” focused on issues, not tweets. Unlike other news sites, we’ve decided to make our original content free. But we need your support to do what we do.

Raw Story is independent. You won’t find mainstream media bias here. We’re not part of a conglomerate, or a project of venture capital bros. From unflinching coverage of racism, to revealing efforts to erode our rights, Raw Story will continue to expose hypocrisy and harm. Unhinged from corporate overlords, we fight to ensure no one is forgotten.

We need your support to keep producing quality journalism and deepen our investigative reporting. Every reader contribution, whatever the amount, makes a tremendous difference. Invest with us in the future. Make a one-time contribution to Raw Story Investigates, or click here to become a subscriber. Thank you.



Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Texas governor busted sending racist call-to-arms a day before El Paso attack: ‘take matters into our own hands’

Published

on

On Thursday, Gov. Greg Abbott (R-TX) tweeted out a message of unity and promised to work to reduce violence in his state, in the wake of the shooting in El Paso that left 22 dead and dozens more injured:

Today we had hearings responding to the tragic shooting in El Paso.

We focused on community healing, combating domestic terrorism, reducing hateful ideologies, & keeping guns out of hands of deranged killers while respecting 2nd Amendment rights.

We’ll keep TX safe.#txlege pic.twitter.com/ymct4aiSgK

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Facebook bans far-right website from pro-Trump advertising after they try to skirt transparency rules

Published

on

On Thursday, NBC News reported that Facebook has banned the Epoch Times from placing political advertisements, after the right-wing website tried to conceal its multimillion-dollar dark money streams and get around the social network's political advertising transparency rules in its propaganda supporting President Donald Trump.

The Epoch Times had tried to skirt rules by running ads under puppet names like "Honest Paper" and "Pure American Journalism," confusing users about who was really behind the ads.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

GOP leaders are pressuring Kansas Republican to resign from Congress immediately: report

Published

on

On Thursday, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported that Republicans in Kansas and Washington are pressuring Rep. Steve Watkins (R-KS) to step down after just eight months in office.

It is currently unclear why they are calling for his resignation.

Watkins has thus far given no indications he will leave office. His spokesman Jim Joice stated that he has no plans to resign, and disputed the idea that Republican officials are pressuring him to do so, but acknowledged there have been conversations around the topic.

Continue Reading
 
 

Thank you for whitelisting Raw Story!

As a special thank you, from now until August 31st, we're offering you a discounted rate of $5.99/month to subscribe and get ad-free access. We're honored to have you as a reader. Thank you. :) —Elias, Membership Coordinator
LEARN MORE
close-link
close-image