Quantcast
Connect with us

French breast implant maker warned as early as 2000

Published

on

The US Food and Drug Administration warned a French maker of breast implants now feared to be at risk of rupture of “serious”quality control violations involving saline implants back in 2000.

Following a May 2000 inspection of a factory in France operated byPoly Implant Prothese (PIP), the FDA sent a firm warning letterdated June 22, 2000, warning saline implants made at that facility were “adulterated.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The letter, seen by AFP, outlines a list of quality assurance problems the FDA warned “may be symptomatic of serious underlying problems in your firm’s manufacturing and quality assurance systems.”

The company is currently under scrutiny not for its saline implants, but for its silicone implants. PIP is suspected of fraudulently using a poor-quality gel for those devices which is linked to leakage and inflammation problems.

France’s health ministry has advised 30,000 women in France with PIP silicone breast implants to have them removed, saying that while there is no proven cancer risk, the prostheses could rupture.

Prosecutors in Marseille, near PIP’s home base of La-Seyne-sur-Mer, have received more than 2,000 complaints from Frenchwomen who received the silicone implants, and have opened a criminal investigation into the firm.

Documents obtained by AFP showed tens of thousands of women in more than 65 countries, mainly in South America and western Europe, received silicone implants produced by PIP.

ADVERTISEMENT

An FDA spokeswoman said Tuesday she could not confirm if the results of the May 2000 inspection were also relayed to French health authorities.

“Our warning letter was publicly available in 2000. Given the timeframe, I haven’t been able to confirm whether any information was shared with France,” said the spokeswoman, Erica Jefferson.

But “generally speaking, when the FDA conducts inspections in foreign countries of foreign facilities, they are aware of our presence in country,” she added.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Alabama Republican: ‘I want to see more people’ get coronavirus

Published

on

On Thursday, Alabama Senate President Pro Tempore Del Marsh suggested that he wanted more people to get coronavirus — because he thinks America would develop "herd immunity" and reduce the spread enough to protect more vulnerable populations.

"I'm not as concerned so much as the number of cases. In fact, quite honestly, I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity the more people have it and get through it," said Marsh. "I don't want any deaths, as few as possible, say, I get it, but those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially more serious pre-existing conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to, you know, do all we can to protect them. But I'm not concerned, I want to make sure that everybody can receive care."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

The Secretary of Defense was briefed on Russian bounty on American soldiers — proving it isn’t the hoax Trump said it was

Published

on

Last week, President Donald Trump finally heard the news that the Russian government was giving cash to Afghanistan's Taliban forces to murder American soldiers.

Initially, he began with Step one in the Trump list of processing a scandal: denial.

"Nobody briefed or told me, @VP Pence, or Chief of Staff @MarkMeadows about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an "anonymous source" by the Fake News @nytimes. Everybody is denying it & there have not been many attacks on us. Nobody's been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration. With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine - Where's Hunter? Probably just another phony Times hit job, just like their failed Russia Hoax. Who is their 'source'?" tweeted Trump on June 28.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Here’s why Trump contradicted his own White House on the Supreme Court rulings

Published

on

Following the Supreme Court's pair of 7-2 decisions rejecting President Donald Trump's claim to have absolute immunity from subpoenas, he blasted the ruling on Twitter, claiming he being unfairly targeted and the victim of "prosecutorial misconduct." However, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement saying that "President Trump is gratified by today’s decision."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image