Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Grisly reports’ out of Syria tell of torture, summary executions in Homs

Published

on

BEIRUT/UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he had received “grisly reports” that Syrian government forces were arbitrarily executing, imprisoning and torturing people in the battle-scarred city of Homs after rebel fighters had fled.

Ban’s comments came as a wounded British photographer, who escaped Homs earlier this week, said he had witnessed Syrian troops carrying out a massacre in the city’s Baba Amro district, which had become a symbol of a year-long uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.

Opposition activists told Reuters Syrian troops, who had bombarded the district for weeks, had started hunting down and killing insurgents who had stayed to cover a rebel retreat on Thursday.

The rebel withdrawal was seen as a major setback for the armed revolt, that began with largely peaceful protests inspired by the “Arab Spring,” but escalated after a bloody government crackdown.

“A major assault on Homs took place yesterday,” Ban told the U.N. General Assembly in New York on Friday. “Civilian losses have clearly been heavy. We continue to received grisly reports of summary executions, arbitrary detentions and torture.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In some of his toughest criticism of Damascus to date, Ban added that “this atrocious assault is all the more appalling for having been waged by the government itself, systematically attacking its own people.”

Syria’s U.N. Ambassador, Bashar Ja’afari, said Ban’s remarks included “extremely virulent rhetoric which confines itself to slandering a government based on reports, opinions or hearsay.”

“The secretary-general is not duly informed,” he said, reiterating that the Syrian opposition consisted of “armed terrorist groups.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The International Committee of the Red Cross said an aid convoy had reached Baba Amro, but was not allowed to enter.

“It is unacceptable that people who have been in need of emergency assistance for weeks have still not received any help,” ICRC President Jakob Kellenberger said in a statement.

“We are staying in Homs tonight in the hope of entering Baba Amro in the very near future.”

ADVERTISEMENT

One activist in Homs told Reuters: “The Syrian army was holding the convoy up because they want to clean up after what they have done in Baba Amro.” As with other activist reports from Homs, this could not be independently confirmed.

“All men who remained in the neighborhood aged between 14 and 50 were arrested. We fear they will be massacred. Where is the world?” said one activist.

“The massacres are continuing. They are torturing them and killing (detainees) one by one. They are executing them in batches,” another activist, who left Baba Amro on Friday, told Reuters via Skype.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many fighters out of the 2,000 who were based in Baba Amro were killed and wounded in the onslaught, they said, adding that a final toll was impossible to give because of the heavy shelling and siege. Hundreds were reported to have fled.

“IT’S A MASSACRE”

British photographer Paul Conroy, who escaped Homs earlier this week after suffering leg injuries in the shelling, said on Friday there had been a daily, indiscriminate barrage of the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’ve worked in many war zones – I’ve never seen or been in shelling like this,” the Sunday Times photographer told Sky News from a hospital bed in central London.

“I’m an ex-artillery gunner so I can kind of follow the patterns – they are systematically moving through neighborhoods with munitions that are used for battlefields.

“It’s not a war, it’s a massacre, an indiscriminate massacre of men, woman and children.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Conroy said thousands of people were still in Homs, without power or water, and with hardly any food.

“In years to come we’re going to sit and we’re going to go ‘How did we let this happen under our nose’. There are rooms full of people waiting to die.”

The Syrian government said on Friday it would like to express its “sadness and sorrow” at the death of Conroy’s Sunday Times colleague, U.S. journalist Marie Colvin, who was killed in the Homs shelling.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Paris prosecutor’s office said on Friday it had opened a preliminary investigation for murder and attempted murder into the bombing that also killed French photographer Remi Ochlik and seriously wounded journalist Edith Bouvier.

Defiant protesters took to the streets after Friday prayers in towns and cities across Syria – including Homs, Hama, Deir al-Zor, Deraa, Douma and several districts in Damascus, television footage showed.

The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 13 people were killed when troops fired a mortar bomb at a protest in the town of Rastan. Independent verification of such reports is hard as foreign media are mostly barred from Syria.

ADVERTISEMENT

In Geneva, the United Nations human rights body had earlier said Assad had obligations under international law.

“We are alarmed at reports starting to come out of the Baba Amro district of Homs after it was taken over by government forces yesterday,” spokesman Rupert Colville said.

Conditions in the heavily bombarded district are hellish. TV footage showed heavy snow and freezing weather, with residents lacking electricity or fuel for heating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Barely a building has escaped damage from artillery shelling and many are pock-marked with bullet holes.

The United Nations says Syrian security forces have killed more than 7,500 civilians since the revolt began last March. Syria’s government said in December that “armed terrorists” had killed more than 2,000 soldiers and police during the unrest.

(Additional reporting by Mariam Karouny, Oliver Holmes and Laila Bassam in Beirut, Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva, Steve Gutterman in Moscow and Nour Merza in Dubai, Michelle Nichols in New York; Writing by Samia Nakhoul, Editing by Giles Elgood and Andrew Heavens)

ADVERTISEMENT

Source: Reuters US Online Report Top News

Photo from YouTube video via Wikimedia Commons

Mochila insert follows


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Oregon comedian says a Trump supporter punched him in the face for mocking the president

Published

on

A longtime comedian from Portland, Oregon is claiming that a supporter of President Donald Trump punched him in the face after he mocked the president during his routine.

Local news station KATU 2 reports that Joe Fontenot says that he was given a black eye during his Saturday night show after he made a joke ridiculing Trump's proposed "Space Force."

Right after making the joke, an offended Trump supporter stood up in the audience and shouted, "Make America great again," Fontenot claims.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Democrats mulling revenge against Mitch McConnell over his treatment of Merrick Garland

Published

on

A report from Politico indicates that there is a battle within the Democratic Party on how much power they will exert placing judges on federal benches should they retake the White House in 2020.

Citing the way that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) held open the Supreme Court seat that was supposed to be filled by Chief United States Circuit Judge Merrick Garland, only to have Trump nominate conservative jurist Neil Gorsuch to the court, Democrats are considering using hardball tactics of their own.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump tweets deranged rant about Mueller and the FBI as hearing draws nearer

Published

on

On Monday, President Donald Trump tweeted an angry invective against former special counsel Robert Mueller, who is slated to testify before the House Intelligence and Judiciary Committees on Wednesday, proclaiming once again — falsely — that the report showed "NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION!"

He followed up this outburst with complaints about a litany of villains frequently promoted by Fox News, including the Hillary Clinton campaign and two former FBI agents who were fired after having a affair and who supposedly were biased against him in text messages (though no evidence has ever shown they improperly influenced Mueller's investigation):

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image