Quantcast
Connect with us

Auschwitz march honours Holocaust dead

Published

on

OSWIECIM, Poland — Thousands from across the globe marched Thursday between the former Nazi German Auschwitz-Birkenau death camps in honour of six million Jews killed in the Holocaust during World War II.

The mournful wail of traditional Jewish ram’s horn — the “shofar”, symbolising freedom — marked the start of the annual March of the Living, held this year for the 21st time since 1988 in this southern Polish town where Nazi Germany built its most notorious death camps.

Eight thousand marchers including Auschwitz survivors, Jewish youths from as far as Australia and two thousand young Poles passed through the infamous “Arbeit macht frei” (Work Will Set You Free) gate at the Auschwitz camp before proceeding along the three-kilometre (two-mile) route to Birkenau.

“This march for me is like a candle which I have to light for the victims,” Steven Higgs, a 22-year-old from Boston, Massachusetts, told AFP.

“It’s a small candle in a dark world but I believe, if more people will light a candle, the world could be better,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Maria Hermano, 43, travelled from Mexico with her family for the march, marking the annual Holocaust Memorial Day.

“No one from my family died in a concentration camp, but when you are here, you feel that every victim is a part of your family,” Hermano said.

Still bearing the camp number 3,241 tattooed on his forearm, Auschwitz survivor Willy Manela recalled its unspeakable horrors.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Words cannot convey what happened here in Auschwitz. It’s unfathomable,” said the Polish Jew who made a life for himself in Ireland after the war.

“It’s my dream for the young people who are marching here not to forget history. They aren’t allowed! They cannot forget what hate of fellow human beings can lead to,” he added.

Israel’s former chief Rabbi Meir Lau as well as US and Canadian World War II veterans who liberated other Nazi death camps, notably Buchenwald, joined the march which wound from Auschwitz to the killing fields of Birkenau.

ADVERTISEMENT

There, six large torches were lit to blaze in front of a memorial.

More than one million people, mostly European Jews, perished at Auschwitz-Birkenau, operated by Nazi Germany in occupied Poland from 1940 until it was liberated by the Soviet Red Army on January 27, 1945.

The site was one of six German death camps set up in occupied Poland, a country which was home to pre-war Europe’s largest Jewish community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many Auschwitz victims were sent to its notorious gas chambers immediately after being shipped in by train. Others were worked to death as slave labourers.

Among the camp’s other victims were tens of thousands of non-Jewish Poles, Soviet prisoners of war, gypsies, and anti-Nazi resistance fighters from across Europe.


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Hope Hicks to be investigated by House after new documents reveal she may have lied to Congress: report

Published

on

The House Judiciary Committee is investigating President Donald Trump's former White House communications director after new documents cast doubt on whether she told the truth while testifying before Congress.

"Hicks told the committee last month that she was not aware of the hush payment to Stormy Daniels when it was arranged. Today’s docs put her in phone calls with [Michael] Cohen and Trump during the period the payment was arranged, but don’t explicitly say those calls were about the payment," Wall Street Journal White House correspondent Rebecca Ballhaus reported.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump might ‘already be in prison’ if not for the DOJ policy: national security lawyer

Published

on

On Thursday, newly unsealed documents showed that FBI agents believed President Donald Trump was personally involved in the illegal scheme to pay off porn star Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about an affair she had with him ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Furthermore, the Office of Legal Counsel memo prohibiting the indictment of a sitting president reportedly "factored into" the end of the probe.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump picks Antonin Scalia’s son to replace disgraced former Labor Secretary: report

Published

on

On Thursday, NPR reported that President Donald Trump is naming Eugene Scalia, the son of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, to take over as Secretary of Labor.

Scalia, who served on the court from 1986 to his death in 2016, was known as one of the staunchest conservatives on the bench. His seat was deliberately kept vacant by Republicans for over a year to deny President Barack Obama the ability to make an appointment to it.

The Department of Labor was until this month run by former federal prosecutor Alexander Acosta, who resigned in disgrace amid renewed questions about his role in brokering a potentially illegal sweetheart plea agreement with hedge fund manager and accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image