Quantcast
Connect with us

Chavez returning to Cuba for more cancer treatment

Published

on

CARACAS, Venezuela — Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Monday he would soon return to Cuba for another round of radiation treatment in his ongoing battle with cancer, which resurfaced earlier this year.

“I will return in the next few hours to Havana,” he said in a message broadcast on radio and television. “We are in the home stretch of my radiation treatment.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Chavez’s cancer, first detected in his pelvic area in June 2011, was found to have recurred in February.

Since surgery to remove the new lesion, he has undergone repeated rounds of treatment in Cuba, and most recently returned from Havana on April 26.

The 57-year-old Chavez, who is running for a third six-year term in the October 7 election, has never publicly revealed the kind of cancer he has or its exact location.

Chavez said he will travel once he gets approval from the National Assembly, which must authorize travel abroad for more than five days. The request is a formality, since his supporters have a majority in the legislature.

ADVERTISEMENT

“These are not easy days,” Chavez said, “but we are warriors in facing adversity, and with faith in god, in Christ the redeemer and with this immense love from the Venezuelan people… we will prevail.”

Chavez said that he would return home quickly from Cuba to continue recovering from the “impact” of radiation therapy.

The true state of Chavez’s health is unknown. After five rounds of chemotherapy, the cancer returned and he underwent surgery again on February 26. So far, he has undergone four rounds of radiation therapy in Cuba.

ADVERTISEMENT

Chavez, in power since 1999, is running for re-election as a “revolutionary socialist” against Henrique Capriles, the youthful Miranda state governor and center-left candidate for the united opposition.

Leaders in Chavez’s party on Monday held a press conference to deny press reports that they were considering other options for the October 7 presidential vote.

“The thought has not crossed our mind for a second to reach October without Chavez,” Aristobulo Isturiz, a senior official with the ruling United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV), told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Local media widely reported that Portuguesa state governor Wilmar Castro Soteldo said in a closed-door meeting last week that the party should prepare for three possible election scenarios: a weakened Chavez, no Chavez, or suspending the vote.

There is currently no clear party successor to Chavez, who has centralized power since taking office and does not tolerate party dissent.

Capriles has urged the president to be honest about his illness.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Instead of sending little messages by phone, he should face the television cameras and speak frankly and honestly to Venezuelans in order to end the speculation,” Capriles said on Saturday.

Though polls still show Chavez leading Capriles, the president is battling public fatigue with his “socialist revolution,” an unstable economy with soaring inflation, and rampant street crime.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Kellyanne Conway lashes out at Democratic voters as ‘racist and sexist’ at Ohio GOP dinner

Published

on

Making an appearance at a Republican Party dinner in Columbus, Ohio, Kellyanne Conway accused Democratic voters of being "racist and sexist," in a diatribe as she tried to boost the fortunes of her boss, President Donald Trump.

According to a report from Cincinnati.com, Conway attacked the leading Democratic presidential nominees before making her claim.

“Their top three candidates are white, career politicians in their 60s and 70s, which I have nothing against except they (Democrats) certainly do,” Conway reportedly told the crowd. “I don’t know why the heck the Democratic party electorate is so racist and sexist. I can’t figure it out.”

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Betsy DeVos’ DOE threatens to cut university funding for positive portrayal of Islam

Published

on

The U.S Department of Education threatened to pull federal funding from a Middle East studies course jointly run by Duke University and the University of North Carolina because it portrays Islam too positively.

The DOE ordered the universities to change their program or lose its federal grant money. In a letter to UNC, the department criticized the program, arguing that topics like Iranian art and film have “little or no relevance” to the Middle East studies program. The letter also argues that the program “appears to lack balance” because its programs are not focused on the discrimination faced by “religious minorities in the Middle East," including Christians and Jews.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Wall Street is ignoring the omens of recession — here’s why

Published

on

The Federal Reserve seems a lot more concerned about the state of the economy than it’s been letting on.

The Fed lowered its target interest rate by a quarter point on Sept. 18, the second such cut since July – and the first reductions since the Great Recession more than 10 years ago.

Judging by the words of Fed Chair Jerome Powell, this isn’t that big a deal. In his statement following the decision, he said: “We took this step to help keep the U.S. economy strong in the face of some notable developments and to provide insurance against ongoing risks.”

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image