RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil — Nearly 60 archeological sites dating back 6,000 years have been unearthed during construction of a road near Rio, an archaeologist said Thursday.
“Last week, we found a small stone well dating back to the (Portuguese) colonial period with clear water and we stopped work,” said Jandira Neto, who led the 40-member team of the Brazilian Archaeology Institute (IAB) that made the discovery.
The archeologists unearthed very old vestiges such as “sambaquis” (shell mounds) of the various population groups who were scattered along the coast of the Americas 8,000 to 6,000 years ago, 2,000-year-old burial urns and ceramic pipes of Tupi-Guarani indigenous people as well as 19th century European crockery.
“The relics pointed to overlapping habitation. This shows that the European settlers occupied the same areas as the indigenous people. They thought that since people lived there, the land had to be good. They just seized indigenous lands and settled there,” she added.
The history of the region — crossed by the 70-kilometer (45 mile) road nicknamed “Metropolitan Arc” which runs from the industrial park in the northern Fluminense lowland to the western port of Itaguai — had until now been known based on travel accounts from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
Now, archeologists scour the area and when they find something, the work stops.
“We began (in 2008) hoping to find very few sites and in one year we went from 36 to 58 sites and we will find others,” Neto said.
“The construction of the road was very useful in helping preserve the region’s historical heritage,” she added.
But the archeological bonanza is causing a major headache for engineers of Rio state’s public works secretariat.
The road project initially was scheduled to be completed in 2011 at a cost of $511 million, but it has been delayed to 2013 because of the work stoppages.
The new road is meant to relieve bottlenecks on Rio’s Avenida Brasil on which more than 250,000 vehicles transit daily, ahead of the 2014 soccer World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics which the city will host.
Fox News hires former Trump spokesman as Senior Vice President: report
The revolving door between the White House and Fox News was spinning on Friday as a former spokesman for President Donald Trump was hired by Fox News.
"A bit of news: Raj Shah, the former spokesman in the White House, is joining Fox as a senior Vice President," Washington Post White House correspondent Josh Dawsey reported on Friday.
After Hope Hicks left her job as White House communications director, she was hired to lead corporate communications for New Fox, the parent company of Fox News.
Here’s why President Trump’s explicit racism is an impeachable offense
Without even waiting for former special counsel Robert Mueller to testify about President Donald Trump's obstruction of justice, Democrats are legally justified in acting now to impeach the president for his explicit racism, a civil rights activist argued on Friday.
Journalist and author Shaun King laid out his argument in a column published by The Intercept.
To make his argument, King explained the difference between implicit and explicit racism.
"Across the country, corporations and government agencies, including police departments, are offering a wave of what’s called 'implicit bias training.' The fundamental theory is that, in this country, otherwise well-meaning employees can be racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or xenophobic in ways that they may not really even be aware of," he explained. "It’s the notion that people unknowingly or unconsciously discriminate against others."
Watch Joy Reid’s epic correction of GOP strategist: ‘This is going to be a white nationalist reelection’
President Donald Trump will continue to attack the four young women of color in Congress known as The Squad, MSNBC anchor Joy Reid predicted on Friday.
Trump has repeatedly used racist attacks to target the four, who are Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).
Host Steve Kornacki interviewed Republican strategist Noelle Nikpour about Trump's message.
"So Noelle, for Republicans, again the folks who were getting in touch with [Mike] Pence and saying 'make Trump stop doing this,' do they have to be ready now for the possibility Trump’s going to keep doing these rallies, he wants to run against these four congresswomen in particular, make them the face of the Democratic Party?" Kornacki asked. "If the crowd starts chanting again, 'send her back,' 'send them back,” doesn't stop, is this going to be a feature of Trump rallies from here through 2020?"