MIAMI — George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer accused of killing an unarmed black teenager earlier this year, on Tuesday waived his right to a speedy trial and asked for more time to prepare his case, according to court documents.
Zimmerman’s lawyer presented petitions in the Florida court for the 28-year-old, who faces second degree murder charges after being freed on bail on April 23.
The motion showed the state of Florida did not oppose the request. The law allows people accused of serious crimes to be tried within 175 days, but that time frame can be waived to allow legal teams to prepare their defense.
Zimmerman, 28, has pleaded not guilty to the charges arising from the shooting of Martin, 17, on February 26 as he crossed a gated community in the Florida town of Sanford on his way home from buying sweets at a local shop.
The case has attracted national attention, including protests led by civil rights leaders, because police initially accepted Zimmerman’s claim that he shot Martin in self-defense.
They refused to arrest him until a special prosecutor finally brought second degree murder charges against him April 11.
He did not appear in court Tuesday, and has been out of the public eye since being freed on bail last month.
Mitch McConnell: AOC started Trump’s racist tweets by calling detention centers ‘concentration camps’
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Tuesday refused to condemn the President of the United States for sending racist tweets in which he told four non-white congresswomen to "go back" to their countries of origin.
McConnell spoke on the matter at a press conference, but he did not explicitly rebuke President Donald Trump.
"There's been a lot of discussion about the events of the last couple days, I'd like to address it myself," McConnell volunteered. "I think there's been a consensus that political rhetoric has really gotten way way overheated all across the political spectrum."
Former Trump communications aide admits to hiring prostitutes
President Donald Trump's former communications aide Jason Miller admitted to hiring prostitutes in 2015 and 2017, an exclusive report revealed Tuesday.
Mediaite broke the news that Miller had hired "multiple" prostitutes for sexual acts at massage parlors. The comments were part of a videotaped deposition, and Miller confessed that he was using the sexual services as recently as "a few months ago" from the deposition he gave on May 30.
WATCH: Civil rights icon John Lewis drops the hammer on Trump — and has no qualms about calling his remarks racist
On Tuesday, the fallout continued from remarks President Trump made telling four freshman congresswomen -- and women of color -- that they should go back to their own countries.
While some prominent Republicans criticized the president, they stopped short of calling his comments racist.
MSNBC reported Tuesday that Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) -- a civil rights icon -- deemed Trump's remarks racist.
"This is not any, any way for the president of the United States of America to be attacking to be saying what he's saying about these young women," Lewis said.
"It's just dead wrong. We must use everything in a nonviolent way to say that it's wrong."