RAMALLAH, Palestinian Territories — Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas warned on Sunday of a “national disaster” if any of the 1,550 Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in Israeli jails were to die.
Abbas spoke as two of the hunger strikers, Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahla, entered their 75th day without eating, and after international rights groups and governments said they were concerned that prisoners could die if they continued to refuse food.
“The situation of the prisoners is extremely dangerous,” Abbas told a meeting of the Palestine Liberation Organisation’s executive committee.
“Some of them face real harm, and that would be a national disaster that no one can tolerate. I hope and pray to God that no one gets hurt because it would be a major disaster.”
Diab and Halahla are specifically protesting their jailing by Israeli authorities without charge under a procedure known as administrative detention.
The broader hunger strike by around 1,550 Palestinian prisoners is intended to pressure Israeli prison authorities to end the use of solitary confinement and ease a wide range of restrictions, including on family visits and prisoner education.
The protest has attracted widespread support throughout the Palestinian territories, and Abbas said he had raised the issue in discussions with Israeli negotiator Yitzhak Molcho and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“These prisoners have a right to justice, and we are talking about the conditions of detention and the prison conditions that Israel is trying to ignore,” Abbas said.
“The issue of the prisoners is the most important issue we’re working on these days.”
Palestinian sources say negotiations are under way with Israeli representatives on a package of measures to ease conditions for the 4,700 Palestinians held in Israeli jails.
The measures would include restarting family visits for prisoners with relatives in Gaza, allowing detainees to resume studies and moving some inmates out of solitary confinement.
A Palestinian official who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity said a key meeting of Israeli officials was taking place Sunday with representatives of the Israel Prisons Service, Israel’s domestic intelligence service Shin Bet and the Israeli government.
But a spokeswoman for the Israel Prisons Service said she had no knowledge of such a meeting.
Hope Hicks to be investigated by House after new documents reveal she may have lied to Congress: report
The House Judiciary Committee is investigating President Donald Trump's former White House communications director after new documents cast doubt on whether she told the truth while testifying before Congress.
"Hicks told the committee last month that she was not aware of the hush payment to Stormy Daniels when it was arranged. Today’s docs put her in phone calls with [Michael] Cohen and Trump during the period the payment was arranged, but don’t explicitly say those calls were about the payment," Wall Street Journal White House correspondent Rebecca Ballhaus reported.
Trump might ‘already be in prison’ if not for the DOJ policy: national security lawyer
On Thursday, newly unsealed documents showed that FBI agents believed President Donald Trump was personally involved in the illegal scheme to pay off porn star Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about an affair she had with him ahead of the 2016 presidential election. Furthermore, the Office of Legal Counsel memo prohibiting the indictment of a sitting president reportedly "factored into" the end of the probe.
Trump picks Antonin Scalia’s son to replace disgraced former Labor Secretary: report
On Thursday, NPR reported that President Donald Trump is naming Eugene Scalia, the son of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, to take over as Secretary of Labor.
Scalia, who served on the court from 1986 to his death in 2016, was known as one of the staunchest conservatives on the bench. His seat was deliberately kept vacant by Republicans for over a year to deny President Barack Obama the ability to make an appointment to it.
The Department of Labor was until this month run by former federal prosecutor Alexander Acosta, who resigned in disgrace amid renewed questions about his role in brokering a potentially illegal sweetheart plea agreement with hedge fund manager and accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.