Quantcast
Connect with us

Quebec sues major tobacco firms for $60 billion

Published

on

MONTREAL — The Canadian province of Quebec announced Friday that it is suing tobacco giants for more than $60 billion dollars in a bid to recover health care costs associated with smoking-related illnesses.

The lawsuit targets the Canadian tobacco companies and their parent companies abroad and seeks damages related to the cost of treating patients from the 1970s until 2030, Quebec Justice Minister Jean-Marc Fourner said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“These manufacturers neglected to warn consumers, including children and teenagers, about the harmful aspects of their products,” Fournier said, blasting the tobacco industry for targeting young people in ad campaigns.

Big Tobacco had anticipated the filing, with Donald McCarty, Imperial Tobacco Canada’s vice president of law, immediately condemning the move as a “cash grab” by the provincial government.

McCarty said the Quebec administration was “looking to score political points while conveniently forgetting that it has been a senior partner in the tobacco industry for decades.

“Governments have licensed us, have taxed us and our consumers, and have regulated us, all in full knowledge of the risks associated with tobacco use,” he said.

Ontario, British Columbia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland have already launched similar lawsuits but Quebec’s, for more than 60 billion Canadian dollars (58 billion US dollars), is by far the biggest so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are to file suits shortly, and Alberta has indicated it will also seek damages.

The Canadian Cancer Society said hefty settlements granted to state governments that have sued tobacco giants in the United States convinced Canadian provinces to go after the industry.

“In my mind it’s not a question as to whether provincial governments are going to win, but by how much,” Rob Cunningham, a senior policy analyst at the Canadian Cancer Society in Ottawa, who is also a lawyer, told AFP.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ve seen the US experience, where state governments had similar medicare costs recovered in lawsuits and they have, through settlements, obtained 245.5 billion dollars payable over 25 years,” said Cunningham.

Quebec Health Minister Yves Bolduc said illnesses from smoking included not only lung cancer but other cancers, in addition to heart disease and underweight births.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bolduc defended the decision to include future health care costs in the lawsuit, saying: “The costs associated with these illnesses over many years has placed an extremely high financial burden on the health system.”

Other provinces that have filed have sought future health care costs as well, Cunningham pointed out.

Defendants in the lawsuit were listed as British American Tobacco — which includes its subsidiary Imperial Tobacco Canada — along with Rothmans, Philip Morris and R.J. Reynolds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Imperial Tobacco Canada said the government was hypocritical.

“This action is even more duplicitous when one considers the major role played by the government of Quebec and the governments of other provinces in the sale of other products for which the risks are well known, including alcohol and gambling,” the company said.

Separately, another lawsuit seeking 27 billion Canadian dollars, filed by nearly two million Quebecers, is being heard in Montreal.

The citizens’ suit says Imperial Tobacco Canada, Rothmans, Benson & Hedges, and JTI-Macdonald Corp. tried to hide critical information about the hazards of smoking.

ADVERTISEMENT

For their part, the companies claim individuals must be accountable for their choices and it is impossible not to know the healths risks associated with smoking.

But the flood of Canadian lawsuits is a sign of justice, according to the Canadian Cancer Society.

“It’s a question of justice for those families who have lost a loved one, and of holding the tobacco industry accountable for their wrongdoing over many decades,” Cunningham said.

“What did the industry know, when did they know about it, and what did they do or not do in response to that knowledge?”

ADVERTISEMENT

“The allegations are serious in response to advertising to kids, denying health effects and concealing their own research,” he added.

Photo AFP/File, Geoff Robins


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Devin Nunes’ hometown paper flooded with letters from disgusted out-of-towners

Published

on

The Frenso Bee, which hails from the San Joaquin Valley where California GOP Congressman Devin Nunes is from, published a series of letters from people around the country who watched his performance in this week's impeachment hearings. The letters all had one thing in common: a notable "absence of pro-Nunes sentiment," which the Fresno Bee's Marek Warszawski said was not intentional on his part.

"Angry people tend to send letters, not those who are pleased," he writes.

Continue Reading

Facebook

WATCH: Lindsey Graham flees Iraq War vet who politely asks to talk about Trump’s conduct

Published

on

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on Friday was filmed running away from a war veteran who tried to talk with him about President Donald Trump's impeachable conduct.

In a video posted by progressive veterans organization Common Defense, a man who identifies himself as an Iraq War veteran from Louisiana calmly walks up to Graham and tells the senator that he believes that he's being treated unfairly by the media.

"I believe that you honestly believe in our democracy as I do," the man tells him.

"I do," Graham replies.

"I came here to D.C. because I'm a Marine, I went to Iraq, and I believe, as I believe that you do, that President Trump is not acting in accordance to his oath," the veteran continued. "The oath that you took and I did to defend the Constitution."

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

‘The Senate’s in play’: Reeling GOP faces collapse into minority status as Trump drags party down

Published

on

According to a report in Rolling Stone, there is a very good chance that the Democrats could take control of the Senate after the 2020 election as the impeachment of Donald Trump casts a cloud over the Republican Party.

The report -- by longtime political observer Tim Dickinson -- states, "the fight to wrest the Senate from Republican control — and oust Mitch McConnell as majority leader — is arguably just as important" as the battle to force Trump from office.

Continue Reading