The flow of refugees from strife-torn Syria to neighbouring Turkey has resumed in earnest after the failure of an April peace plan, with more than 2,000 arrivals in the past three days, officials said Tuesday.
The number of Syrian refugees in camps set up in southeastern Turkey reached 26,747 on Tuesday, up from 24,433 on Saturday, according to figures announced by Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD).
The influx comes as violence continues in Syria, particularly in northwestern villages close to the border.
The rebel Free Syrian Army announced Friday that it was resuming “defensive operations” because of the failure of the peace plan brokered by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan that supposedly took effect on April 12.
The refugees are accommodated in Turkish Red Crescent camps in the southeastern provinces of Hatay, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa and Kilis.
Turkish officials also noted that they had put out suspicious fires close to the camps that they said may have been started by arsonists targeting opponents of the regime who have settled on the Turkish side of the border, Anatolia reported.
“Our teams today spotted two people walking along the border, setting fire to the bushes. … They were on the Syrian side, so we could not do anything,” said Mehmet Harbi, the head of Hatay province’s forestry service.
“I belive the opposition camps are being targeted,” he added, noting that while the flames did not pose a serious risk, but 10 hectares (25 acres) of forests have been burnt.
Inside Syria, four civilians were killed late Monday in a “huge military operation” in the Kfar Oweid area of Idlib, a province bordering Turkey and a stronghold of rebel forces, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
There were also clashes in several other areas of the province in northwest Syria, the monitoring group said.
[Photo By Bulent Kilic/AFP/File]
Former acting CIA director explains why Trump’s inaction on Russian bounty scandal will make things worse
It was revealed nearly two weeks ago that the Russian government is paying a bounty to the Taliban for killing American soldiers.
Since then, President Donald Trump has denied that he and his administration didn't know anything about it. Then he claimed it was a hoax. Now it has become clear that the stories are not only true but that if Trump read his presidential daily briefing in 2019, he would have been aware of the problem.
Speaking to the House Thursday, Trump's former acting CIA director Michael Morell explained that things are being made far worse by the president's denial.
Here are 7 hilarious videos about wearing COVID-19 masks to send people who won’t wear them
While late-night shows are off for a Summer break, Americans are glued to TikTok and Twitter for their humor and every folks have delivered.
The latest trend is to mock fools who refuse to wear masks. While many people who refuse to wear a mask tuck their tails and sulk as they walk away, some take it to a whole new level of fury. Those precious souls are being mocked and shamed all around the world.
Here are seven videos that are hilarious or adorable that encourage wearing masks during the COVID-19 pandemic:
Wearing a mask is like wearing a lifejacket.https://twitter.com/mattbooshell/status/1280933495674732544
Trump tells Fox News the ‘Black Lives Matter’ sign on Fifth Avenue is like he’s being ‘prosecuted’
President Donald Trump appeared to reveal another quid pro quo during an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity.
MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell pointed it out during an interview with Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA).
"I was very nice to Mayor de Blasio. I got him ventilators when he needed them... I got him the gowns. I got him the masks. I got him everything. Then he throws a big Black Lives Matter sign right down in the middle of Fifth Avenue. I was so good to him and to Gov. Cuomo, like nobody's ever been good. And then all you end up doing out of that place is getting prosecuted."