Quantcast
Connect with us

Zimmerman awaits second bond ruling after misrepresenting finances

Published

on

Florida judge was considering George Zimmerman‘s latest request for freedom on Friday after the accused murderer turned down an opportunity to apologise for misleading the court over donations to his defence fund.

Judge Kenneth Lester reserved his decision following an emotional and often fiery bail hearing in which the parents of Trayvon Martin, the teenager killed by the neighbourhood watch leader in a February altercation in Sanford, were in court to listen to a 911 recording containing the gunshot that ended their son’s life.

ADVERTISEMENT

It means Zimmerman, 28, must stay in jail at least until Lester makes his ruling, which could come later on Friday.

Zimmerman, who denies second-degree murder, refused to take the stand after learning that he would be open to cross-examination if he did so. Lester, who in April freed him on $150,000 bail, sent him back to jail on 1 June after learning of the deception.

His lawyer, Mark O’Mara, had been keen for Zimmerman to explain personally why he moved more than $200,000 between bank accounts owned by his wife and sister, money donated to a website he set up after the shooting.

Prosecutors argue that he was hiding the money to secure a lower bail amount and that he and his wife Shellie, 25, spoke in code during phone calls from the Seminole County jail to disguise what they were doing. Shellie Zimmerman has since been charged with perjury.

“It was done to hide the money, to deceive the court, lie to the court,” said assistant state attorney Bernie de la Rionda, who asked Lester to reject bail.
“Frankly he was manipulating the whole thing. He was using his wife as a conduit to do this. Now you don’t have just committing a crime, you have him lying to the court through his wife.”

ADVERTISEMENT

O’Mara insisted there was no intent by his client to deceive the court and that Zimmerman, who appeared in court today in a grey suit and dark blue polka-dot tie, was just confused and frightened by the situation he found himself in.

“I don’t know how you act as a 28-year-old when someone gives you $200,000, and then throws you out of your house, out of your town, out of your neighbourhood, charges you with a crime that you say you did not commit and that you only acted in a certain way because you had to,” he said.

“The manoeuvrings of the PayPal money were just that, manoeuvrings without any true negative intent.”

ADVERTISEMENT

O’Mara, who asked Lester to reinstate bail at $150,000, also wanted Zimmerman to be allowed to speak without cross-examination.

But Lester said: “He’s no different to anyone else. He can’t pick and choose. It doesn’t work that way. If he wants to testify, there’s the stand. If he doesn’t, I’ll respect that.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Zimmerman’s father, Robert, did testify, however, to say he believed a voice heard on a 911 tape screaming for help was that of his son. Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, sat shaking their heads when the tape containing the gunshot was played.

Earlier in the three-hour hearing, the court heard that public donations for Zimmerman’s defence fund and living expenses exceeded $205,000, which was eventually transferred from PayPal into the defendant’s personal bank account.

O’Mara called a forensic business accountant, Adam Magill, to explain the subsequent flow of money between bank accounts belonging to Zimmerman and his wife and sister at about the time of his April bail hearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Magill said that the money was moved in numerous increments of less than $10,000 to avoid tax reporting restrictions but was mostly returned to Zimmerman’s own account, from which almost $160,000 was sent on to an independent fund set up by his lawyer.

He said the Zimmermans also spent about $25,000 on credit card debts and living expenses and had retained a smaller amount as a cash reserve, the rest accounted for in bank fees and transfer charges. “All the ins and outs match perfectly,” Magill said.

O’Mara, meanwhile, rejected any suggestion that the money was improperly used. “Tons of people gave Mr Zimmerman money,” he said. “He was thrown out of his house, he couldn’t go back to his neighbourhood. So he puts out a request to the public and they respond. And then he dared to use that same money for living expenses?”

De la Rionda, however, questioned why the Zimmermans needed to move money between their various accounts for any reason other than to “hide” it at a time when his financial position was relevant to his first application for bail.

ADVERTISEMENT

He asked Magill if he thought such transfers could be made to mislead a court. Magill conceded: “I wouldn’t say to mislead, but to make it appear like they didn’t have the money.”

O’Mara also entered into evidence photographs and videos showing Zimmerman’s head and facial wounds, and called to the stand Kevin O’Rourke, a firefighter and emergency medical technician with the Sanford fire department.

O’Rourke, among the first medical personnel to arrive at the scene, said he examined Zimmerman and observed cuts and a “deformed nose”, an injury the defendant claimed he received when Martin punched him.

He said he cleaned up the wounds and advised Zimmerman that he might need stitches for lacerations to the back of his head.

ADVERTISEMENT

O’Rourke said he also examined Martin, 17, on the ground nearby. “He was deceased upon [our] arrival,” he said.

Adam Vincent, a Seminole County probation officer, said Zimmerman was “to all intents and purposes a model client” after his release in April. He said: “We never had any problems with Mr Zimmerman under our supervision. He was always polite and courteous.”

© Guardian News and Media 2012


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘I’m entitled’: Kayleigh McEnany defends her 11 mail-in votes while calling it ‘fraud’ for the masses

Published

on

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Thursday faced questions from Fox News about why she had voted by mail 11 times even though President Donald Trump has called absentee ballots a "scam."

McEnany was asked about her voting history after the Tampa Bay Times reported that she had used mail-in voting nearly a dozen times in recent years.

"So why is it OK for you to do it?" Fox News host Ed Henry asked McEnany. "I understand you are traveling, you're in a different city. But how can you really be assured that your votes were counted accurately but when other people do it, it's fraud."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘They want their civil war’: Far-right ‘boogaloo’ militants have embedded themselves in the George Floyd protests in Minneapolis

Published

on

Young, white men dressed in Hawaiian-style print shirts and body armor, and carrying high-powered rifles have been a notable feature at state capitols, lending an edgy and even sometimes insurrectionary tone to gatherings of conservatives angered by restrictions on businesses and church gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic.

Just as many states are reopening their economies — and taking the wind out of the conservative protests — the boogaloo movement found a new galvanizing cause: the protests in Minneapolis against the police killing of George Floyd.

A new iteration of the militia movement, boogaloo was born out of internet forums for gun enthusiasts that repurposed the 1984 movie Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo as a code for a second civil war, and then modified it into phrases like “big luau” to create an insular community for those in on the joke, with Hawaiian-style shirts functioning as an in-real-life identifier. Boogaloo gained currency as an internet meme over the summer of 2019, when it was adopted by white supremacists in the accelerationist tendency. In January, the movement made the leap from the internet to the streets when a group boogaloo-ers showed up at the Second Amendment rally in Richmond, Va.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Man holds black DoorDash driver at gunpoint for delivering food to an Arizona apartment complex

Published

on

A man in Mesa, Arizona, is facing assault and weapons charges after he allegedly held a delivery driver at gunpoint this Sunday, 12News reports.

Police say Valentino Tejeda pulled a gun on 24-year-old Dimitri Mills in the parking lot of Tejeda's apartment complex, and when Mills and his girlfriend tried to explain they were making a food delivery to a neighbor, Tejeda still insisted that Mills, who is black, was somehow a threat.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image