Quantcast
Connect with us

Zimmerman team requests new bond hearing as donations to defense fund spike

Published

on

Attorneys for George Zimmmerman, Jr., the Florida man who fatally shot teenager Trayvon Martin earlier this year, are requesting a second bond hearing after they admitted that their client lied to the court about his financial situation, according to Think Progress. The defense team has asked the court to put aside whatever reservations it might have and free their client, an accused murderer who has a second passport and $200,000 at his disposal and who has now, demonstrably, lied in testimony.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last Friday, Seminole County Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. ordered Zimmerman, who had been released on $150,000 bond, back to jail. The defense team, headed by attorney Mark O’Mara released a statement yesterday through their website, saying that a combination of “fear, mistrust and confusion” drove Zimmerman to lie to the court about his legal defense fund, but that “in all other regards, Mr. Zimmerman has been forthright and cooperative.”

“At the point of the bond hearing,” they wrote, “Mr. Zimmerman had been driven from his home and neighborhood, could not go to work, his wife could not go back to a finish her nursing degree, his mother and father had been driven from their home, and he had been thrust into the national spotlight as a racist murderer by factions acting with their own agendas.”

How this precisely impacted the accused’s ability to recall whether or not he had $200,000 in the bank is unclear. O’Mara insisted to ABC News that the Zimmermans’ lies were warranted and justifiable. “It’s not again like they were trying to hide the money or leave with the money. They just had it… and felt like they needed to secure themselves,” he said.

O’Mara said that Zimmerman, who, said Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump, had a “cozy” relationship with local police, is unhappy in jail.

In the wake of his return to jail, donations to Zimmerman’s defense fund have spiked. Contributions have poured in from anonymous donors all over the country, spurred by right wing commentators like Sean Hannity, whose listeners donated more than $60,000 after a show aired drawing attention to the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Zimmerman has waived his right to a speedy trial, meaning that if he is denied bail, he could remain in custody until the trial begins in 2013.

Watch video about this story, which aired Monday, June 4, and is embedded via ABC News, below:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

ADVERTISEMENT

(image via ABC screen capture)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

LISTEN: Mourners sing ‘Amazing Grace’ outside the Supreme Court to celebrate Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Published

on

Heartwarming videos were shared on social media on Friday night showing the spontaneous gathering at the Supreme Court following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The large crowd, with many people wearing masks, sang the hymn "Amazing Grace."

Here are some of the videos of the scene:

A moving moments as dozens join in to sing “Amazing Grace” on the steps of the Supreme Court. pic.twitter.com/NGZyZi4YR4

— Mike Balsamo (@MikeBalsamo1) September 19, 2020

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here’s how Mitch McConnell could lose his leverage to replace Ginsburg after November

Published

on

According to a report in AZCentral, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's plan to rush through a replacement for the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg could encounter an unexpected roadblock if he tries to hold a confirmation vote after the election.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Trump reveals how he can manipulate Democrats to help him put Ted Cruz on the Supreme Court

Published

on

President Donald Trump spoke about his plans for the Supreme Court during a Friday night campaign rally in Bemidji, Minnesota.

Trump took the stage before news was announced that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had died and appeared to not know of the Supreme Court vacancy.

Trump explained to his audience why he had put Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) on his shortlist for a Supreme Court nomination.

“I said, you know, I have to have someone that we’re going sure we get approved and the only one I could think of is Ted, because he’s going to get 50 Republican votes and he’s going to get 50 Democrat votes — they’ll do anything to get him out of the Senate," Trump said.

Continue Reading