Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Butcher of Bosnia’ Mladic trial to resume Monday

Published

on

The trial of former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic will resume next week after being suspended when Mladic fell ill, the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal said Friday.

The 70-year-old was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure after falling ill during his trial on Thursday, though his lawyer, Branko Lukic, told AFP later the same day that his client was already feeling better.

Mladic was not however in court for Friday’s hearing at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague.

Judge Alphons Orie adjourned proceedings, after telling the prosecution’s second witness, David Harland, a UN political advisor during the war, he would like to see him on Monday.

Harland had originally been scheduled to continue his testimony on Friday.

The trial had only resumed Monday with the prosecution’s first witness testimonies, after being abruptly suspended May 17 at the request of the defence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mladic is being tried for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity for his role in Bosnia’s 1992-1995 war that claimed 100,000 lives and displaced 2.2 million people.

He is accused of having masterminded a criminal plan to rid multi-ethnic Bosnia of Croats and Muslims and of having a hand in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, the worst atrocity on European soil since World War II.

Mladic faces charges relating to the July 1995 Srebrenica massacre, during which Bosnian Serb troops slaughtered nearly 8,000 Muslim men and adolescents.

He denies all the charges, but could face life in prison if convicted.

ADVERTISEMENT

On the run for 16 years, Mladic was arrested May 26 2011 at a relative’s home in northeastern Serbia. He has complained regularly of health issues since he first appeared before the ICTY in June 2011.

The health scares have prompted groups representing the families of Srebrenica victims to voice concern that Mladic might die before his trial is concluded.

Mladic’s one-time mentor, former Serbian president Slobodan Milosevic, died in The Hague in 2006, four years into his own war crimes trial.

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Fox News cuts Trump livefeed after he whines his ‘favorite network’ isn’t treating him ‘great’

Published

on

Fox News on Wednesday cut away from a speech being delivered by President Donald Trump shortly after he complained that the network isn't treating him as fairly as it should.

While talking before the Faith & Freedom Coalition, Trump mentioned that he was watching his "favorite network" recently -- and then he went off on a tangent on how this network needed to do a better job of being nice to him.

"[Fox News] doesn’t always treat me so great, by the way," he said. "They could do better. But at least they are fair!"

Shortly afterward, Fox stopped its lived feed of Trump's speech and host Harris Faulkner jumped in to recap other aspects of the president's speech, including "Merry Christmas coming back."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump-loving actor hilariously roasted for complaining that a Canadian team won’t visit the White House

Published

on

Kevin Sorbo, a Trump-loving actor best known for playing Hercules in the TV series "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys," drew instant ridicule this week after he bitterly complained about a Canadian team that wouldn't visit President Donald Trump at the White House.

Earlier this week, Toronto Raptors guard Danny Green said that his team would not accept an invitation to the White House thanks to the behavior of President Donald Trump.

"I try to respect everybody in every field that they do regardless of how crazy things are," Green explained. "But he makes it really hard. He makes it very, very tough to respect how he goes about things and does things. To put it politely, I think it’s a hard no."

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Evangelicals wildly chant ‘4 more years’ after Trump claims mothers are ‘executing’ their infants after birth

Published

on

Speaking at the Faith and Freedom Coalition 2019 Road to Majority Policy Conference in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, President Donald Trump claimed that infants were being "executed" after birth.

"Unfortunately, Democrat politicians have become increasingly hostile to pro-life Americans, who want to help more children find a loving home and share their dreams with the world," Trump told the evangelical crowd.

"Virtually every top Democrat now supports taxpayer-funded abortion right up to the moment of birth. By the way, if you watched Virginia, the governor, after the moment of birth -- that was something that nobody -- that was something that nobody heard of before. After the moment of birth."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

The 2020 election needs you. There are 18 months until the election, and the Supreme Court is on the line. I'm trying to add journalists to do more exclusive reports. Let me get rid of the ads for you, and put your support toward 100% progressive reporting. Want to ensure your voice is heard? Join me and restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

HELP TAKE BACK AMERICA
close-link