WELLINGTON — New Zealand revealed Monday it was considering an early withdrawal from Afghanistan after three of its soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb attack on their convoy in Bamiyan province.
Prime Minister John Key insisted the plan to pull out early was not linked to the attack, which raises the number of New Zealand soldiers killed in Afghanistan this month to five.
He said New Zealand, which has suffered a total of 10 deaths in Afghanistan, was looking at withdrawing its 145-member provincial reconstruction team in Bamiyan in early 2013, rather than late next year as originally planned.
Key said discussions about an early exit began before August 4, when two soldiers were killed and six wounded in what has been the bloodiest month for New Zealand troops since they deployed in 2003.
“That date, if we confirm that, which we would want to do in the next few weeks, is not something that’s changed as a result of these five tragic deaths,” he told Radio New Zealand.
He said there had been increased insurgent activity recently in north-east Bamiyan and New Zealand would not “cut and run” before handing over to local authorities.
“It’s neither practical, nor sensible, nor right for us just to abandon and cut and run today,” he said.
“That wouldn’t honour those 10 deaths, it wouldn’t mark the enormous amount of work that we’ve put into Afghanistan and it just isn’t the way that New Zealand operates on the international stage.”
Key said the latest deaths “underscore the gravity of the situations New Zealand?s soldiers face daily in Afghanistan”.
“The three brave soldiers paid the ultimate price for their selfless work, and my thoughts are with their families and friends as they mourn their loved ones,” he added.
The New Zealand Defence Force said the three men were in the last vehicle of a convoy that was hit by an an improvised explosive device, northwest of Do Abe where the other two soldiers died on August 4.
Key said the blast was significant and the three soldiers, who were in a humvee, were believed to have died instantly.
Defence Minister Jonathan Coleman said the deaths were “a deep shock to the nation”.
“It comes as a significant blow after the other casualties our defence force suffered on August 4,” he said in a statement.
Photo by Spc. Bao Huynh [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Here are 11 of the most popular progressive policies for candidates to run on — and 5 of the least popular
New polling from the progressive pollster Data for Progress, described in a new piece Monday at Vox, points the way forward for Democrats looking to oust President Donald Trump from the White House and enact a liberal policy agenda.
Progressives often argue that their plans are broadly popular with Americans, and that these ideas are only prevented from becoming reality because of an obstinate Republican Party weaponizing racism and misinformation, archaic political institutions that stymie significant efforts at reform, and corruption across the two parties that allows special and corporate interests to undermine the popular will. And there is a fair amount of truth in this idea — some progressive idea are remarkably popular, and there's no good reason they haven't been implemented yet.
“Unconscionable”: Fury as federal appeals court upholds Trump’s anti-women, anti-choice “gag rule”
"Leaving women in the dark about their healthcare and restricting doctors from providing candid advice is simply not in the best interest of public health."
Women's healthcare advocates fumed Monday after a federal appeals court upheld the Trump-Pence administration's so-called domestic "gag rule."
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals handed down the 7-4 decision regarding the administration's policy of preventing Title X funds from going to clinics that provide referrals for abortions, even though no federal funds pay for abortions.
US economy faces long-lasting damage from Trump’s trade war: fed official
The trade conflict of the past two years likely left a mark on the US economy, even with the recent agreement to defuse the situation, a Federal Reserve official said Monday.
The outbreak of the new coronavirus in China adds another risk factor to the outlook, which otherwise seemed poised to provide steady growth, said Loretta Mester, president of the Federal Reserve's regional bank in Cleveland.
"At this point, it is difficult to assess the magnitude of the economic effects, but this new source of uncertainty is something I will be carefully monitoring," she said of the epidemic.