First the bad news: there is going to be a lot less champagne to go round this year.
The good news: what there is could be outstanding.
After one of the worst spring growing seasons on record, producers of the world’s most celebrated bubbly are bracing themselves for one of the smallest harvests in the last 20 years.
But thanks to a hot and sunny August, all the signs are that the chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier grapes that go into the king of sparkling wines will be packed full of flavour.
“The vines suffered every possible disaster up to the middle of the summer,” admitted Champagne wine board (CIVC) spokesman Thibault Le Mailloux.
“We feared the worst but August turned things around and all the signs are that the harvest will be of exceptional quality.”
Heavy rain, destructive hail storms and late frosts have made it a stressful year for champagne producers.
A cold and wet spring prevented a good flowering of the vines, reducing the number of grapes in each bunch and promoting the appearance of millerandage, a vine disease that leads to unevenly sized grapes which ripen at different rates.
That was followed by frosts in April and May which destroyed the equivalent of 2,900 hectares (7,165 acres) and hail storms in June and July which accounted for a further 1,000 hectares (2,470 acres) in an area where vines had already been traumatised by attacks of two types of mildew.
“It is going to be an atypical harvest to say the least,” added Le Mailloux. “It will certainly be one of the smallest of the last 20 years and it could be as much as 30 percent down on last year.”
The CIVC has set maximum permitted yields at 11,000 kg per hectare across the region, which translates into a potential 220.5 million bottles, 12 percent or some 30 million bottles down on last year.
The fall in output may well suit the producers however as the economic climate cuts demands for a drink that is intimately associated with good times and celebrations.
In the first half of this year, champagne sales were down 6.6 percent on the same period in 2011, largely as a result of slumping domestic demand and lower orders from the rest of Europe. Sales to outside the European Union held up better with only a 0.8 percent contraction.
“The sales figures have not been great but 50 percent of our sales are made in the last four months of the year,” Le Mailloux added.
The unusual weather and uneven ripening of grapes mean this year’s harvest will start in the middle of September and could run for 28 days, a week longer than is usual. That will allow some winemakers to harvest in two stages, ensuring the grapes are all of optimum quality.
Lev Parnas has Trump ‘unnerved’: ex-FBI official says the president doesn’t know what he ‘has up his sleeve’
President Donald Trump is "very nervous" about what Lev Parnas may have on him, a former top FBI official suggested on MSNBC on Friday.
Former FBI Assistant Director for Counterintelligence was interviewed by MSNBC's Peter Alexander.
The host played clips of Trump denying any relationship with Parnas.
"Well, I don't know him, I don't know Lev Parnas, other than I guess I had pictures taken -- which I do with thousands of people," Trump argued. "I don't know him at all, don't know what he's about, don't where he comes from. I can tell you this -- I don't know him. I don't believe I've ever spoken to him. I don't believe I've ever spoken to him."
Trump is now feuding with Iran’s Supreme Leader on Twitter: ‘Make Iran Great Again!’
President Donald Trump is now replying directly to Iran Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Twitter.
I Friday, Khamenei tweeted a screenshot of a Trump tweet, with a message of his own.
"The villainous US govt repeatedly says that they are standing by the Iranian ppl. They lie. If you are standing by the Iranian ppl, it is only to stab them in the heart with your venomous daggers," Khamenei posted.
"Of course, you have so far failed to do so, & you will certainly continue to fail," he added.
Trump retweeted the message, adding his own argument.
‘Contempt of Congress is illegal’ declared one of Trump’s newest attorneys – just days before the House voted to impeach
One of the lesser-known names on the new list of lawyers President Donald Trump approved to defend him during the Senate impeachment trial delivered a damning remark last month – damning for President Trump, that is.
"Contempt of Congress is illegal," said Robert Ray, who served as the final Whitewater independent counsel after Ken Starr.
The Washington Post's Paul Waldman and Greg Sargent report Ray made the stunning remark – one of the Articles of Impeachment essentially is contempt of Congress, or technically, obstruction of Congress – to The Daily Signal, a right wing website run by the conservative Heritage Foundation.