Stories Chosen For You
Evacuated villagers tell how Spain's forest fire forced them to leave animals
Residents recounted fleeing their houses and leaving animals behind.
"Bad, how am I supposed to feel? Your town is burning, your life is burning, Our animals were there and no one can tell us anything," Antonio Zarzoso, 24, who had to leave the village of Puebla de Arenoso, told Reuters.
More than 500 firefighters supported by 20 planes and helicopters were working to bring the blaze under control near the village of Villanueva de Viver, emergency services said on Saturday, forcing 1,500 to leave their homes.
The blaze also spread to the Teruel area of the Aragon region, where 200 people had to be evacuated, authorities said on Saturday.
However, they managed to stop the fire spreading to other areas.
"The surrounding forest has been reached by fire and we don't know how exactly the area looks," Montse Boronat, from Los Calpes, told Reuters.
Ximo Puig, president of the Valencia region, told reporters the blaze was made more "voracious" by summer-like temperatures of about 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit).
Las Provincias, a regional newspaper, reported police believe that the blaze may have been started by a spark from a machine used to gather brushwood.
A Spanish Civil Guard spokeswoman said that an investigation was underway into the cause of the fire.
An unusually dry winter across parts of southern Europe has raised concern that there could be a repeat of last year's devastating wildfires.
The weather will be drier and hotter than usual this spring along Spain's northeastern Mediterranean coast, increasing the risk of fires, meteorological agency AEMET said last week.
Last year, some 785,000 hectares were destroyed in Europe, more than double the annual average for the past 16 years, based on European Commission (EC) statistics.
In Spain, 493 fires destroyed a record 307,000 hectares of land, according to the Commission's European Forest Fire Information System.
(Reporting by Graham Keeley, Guillermo Martinez, Miguel Gutierrez, Editing by Jason Neely and Frances Kerry)
'The emperor has no clothes': N.Y. Post sticks a knife in Trump's re-election hopes
Reflecting on Donald Trump's last seven days which have been filled with rage and threats of coming "death and destruction," the editorial board of the normally Trump-friendly New York Post stated they don't see any way that he can win re-election in 2024.
Under a headline that bluntly declared, "Trump won't change, and that shows he can't win," the editors expressed dismay that, despite losing in 2020, he still "can’t stop himself from nursing piddling grudges and throwing out childish insults."
With the Post running the picture of Trump wielding a baseball bat that he posted as part of a meme hinting at violently assaulting Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg on the front page next to a headline that blared "BAT HIT CRAZY," the opinion page editors began with, "This guy. As some of his allies are trying to rewrite January 6 as an afternoon stroll, Donald Trump is having none of it. In the face of a possible criminal case in New York, he screamed that “death and destruction” would follow any indictment."
Writing that "he hasn't changed in the slightest," they made the case that everything he does, he does for himself.
RELATED: Trump is scrambling to keep evidence of criminality out of the hands of the Supreme Court — here's why
"Time and time again, Trump’s responses have been unhinged, indicative, and self-defeating. And don’t buy for a second when he says he’s 'fighting for you.' If you actually 'rose up' and were arrested, Trump would abandon you, just as he has every ally who wasn’t useful to him anymore. What did he do for those locked up for months over Jan. 6? What cash did he hand over for the candidates he endorsed in the recent midterm elections he torpedoed for Republicans?"
Going beyond lecturing Trump's fans that they are being played, the editors stated that his inability to dial it back means there is no way he will be able to bring moderate Republicans and independents back into the fold, making a third bid for the Oval Office a waste of time and money.
Writing, "He’s not offering anyone apart from himself a better future. He’s out for revenge," they continued, "When Trump ran in 2016, he was an unknown entity. Independents took a chance, wanting to break from the stagnant political machines that sought to anoint Hillary Clinton. But he’s not a mystery anymore ... The emperor has no clothes. Perhaps you don’t mind. But there are plenty of middle-of-the-road voters who do."
"You want a leader who will fight for you? Then you have to pick someone who can actually get elected. Republicans can’t throw away their shot in 2024," the editorial concluded.
You can read the entire piece here.
Vince McMahon reimburses WWE $17.4 million for investigation into misconduct allegations
Vince McMahon has footed the $17.4 million bill for the WWE’s investigation into the misconduct allegations raised against him, which triggered his brief retirement. The wrestling executive reimbursed the sports entertainment company on Thursday for all costs associated with the probe through Jan. 31, according to an SEC filing by the WWE on Friday.
McMahon has said he will also cover any costs incurred by the investigation subsequent to that date.