Quantcast
Connect with us

Saudi minister insists regional unrest will not affect hajj

Published

on

The annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca will not be affected by events in Syria and elsewhere across the region, Saudi Arabia’s interior minister said Saturday.

“I don’t expect pilgrims or the pilgrimage to be affected by what is taking place elsewhere, whether Syria or any other place,” the minister, Prince Ahmad bin Abdul Aziz, told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

When asked if pro-regime Syrians could infiltrate the pilgrims coming into the kingdom, which has repeatedly voiced support for the rebels, and cause trouble, Prince Ahmad said that “those coming to hajj are Muslims and Muslims would not hurt one another, especially not during hajj.”

However, such an act “would have very bad effects,” he warned, adding that “whoever tries to use hajj for political aims will be sent back home.”

The Saudi ambassador to Lebanon said Wednesday that the kingdom will grant visas to Syrians in Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan — home to thousands of refugees — wishing to perform the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, set to begin Wednesday.

The majority of Syria’s population is Sunni, while the regime is dominated by Alawites, an offshoot of Shiite Islam.

Syrian state news agency SANA reported in September that Saudi Arabia has barred Syrians from entering the country for the hajj. The kingdom had however denied the report.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Saturday the interior minister reiterated that “the kingdom did not prevent the Syrian government from sending pilgrims and did not deny entry to any Syrian or Muslim pilgrim wanting to perform hajj, except to those who applied late.”

He also said that the kingdom is not worried that Iranian pilgrims would cause any trouble.

“We don’t expect any” unrest to be caused by Iranians. “The Iranians have assured us that they are as concerned about the comfort of pilgrims as we are,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Saudi security chief warned earlier this month that the Muslim kingdom will not tolerate any attempt to exploit the hajj pilgrimage to stage political rallies, as Iranians have in the past, provoking deadly clashes with police.

Iranians annually stage a “repudiation of polytheists” rally, a ritual promoted by the late Islamic republic’s leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to denounce the West and Israel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Saudi security forces have confronted Iranian pilgrims several times in the past for holding anti-US and anti-Israeli protests.

In 1987, police efforts to stifle such a demonstration sparked clashes in which 402 people died, including 275 Iranians.

Iranian pilgrims have since held their rallies in tents without provoking clashes with security forces in the Sunni-dominated kingdom.

ADVERTISEMENT

More than 1.6 million pilgrims have until now arrived in Mecca to perform hajj, which is one of the five pillars of Islam and should be done by every able Muslim at least once in a life time.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump busted for acting like the Saudi’s ‘press secretary’ after Florida naval yard shooting

Published

on

Conservative Washington Post columnist Max Boot blasted President Donald Trump for essentially becoming a "press secretary" for the Saudi Arabian government in wake of the Pensacola, Florida mass shooting.

In his column Sunday, Boot noted that the typical mass shooting sentiments like "thoughts and prayers" were absent Friday when Trump discovered that the shooting was done by a Muslim.

"It turns out that Trump actually has a triple standard, because he treats attacks by Saudis differently than those from other Muslim nations," Boot observed. "On Friday, a Saudi air force officer studying at the Naval Air Station Pensacola shot dead three Americans and wounded eight others. Instead of expressing outrage or vowing vengeance, or even waiting for all the facts to come in, Trump sounded as if he were auditioning for the job of press secretary at the Saudi Embassy."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

McConnell blocked by his own party from calling impeachment witnesses Trump wants for Senate trial: report

Published

on

According to a report from the New York Times, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is finding his hands tied by members of his own party who are skeptical over the appropriateness of calling some of the witnesses Donald Trump  -- and a few of his House Republican enablers  -- want to appear.

As the Times notes, "While Democrats who control the House are focused on a swift impeachment vote by year’s end, the White House is almost entirely consumed by the trial that would follow in the Republican-controlled Senate, where Mr. Trump’s team believes he would have the chance to defend himself and where Democrats would almost certainly fall short of the two-thirds vote they would need to remove him from office."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Ted Cruz hammered as ‘Putin’s stooge’ after humiliating himself on NBC to push Kremlin propaganda

Published

on

In a column for the Washington Post, conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin in publically shamed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) for his conversion from Cold War Russia critic to unabashed "Putin stooge" after his performance on "Meet the Press" on Sunday.

Speaking with NBC host Chuck Todd on Sunday, Cruz attempted to push what has been described as Kremlin propaganda, asserting that "there is evidence of Ukraine interference in our election because an op-ed was written criticizing Trump’s campaign rhetoric about Ukraine." 

Continue Reading