Republicans in Congress went on the offensive over the fiscal cliff negotiations on Tuesday, threatening to unilaterally introduce a Plan B before the end of the year to prevent tax rises for anyone earning less than $1m a year.
The House Republicans are proposing to introduce a speedy bill that would enshrine these proposals.
The tactic, unveiled by Republican House speaker John Boehner at a press conference in Congress, is aimed at putting pressure on Barack Obama. It would remove one of the main pieces of leverage the White House has over the Republicans: the likelihood they will be blamed if most taxpayers are hit with rises next year.
Plan B may be aimed as much at the Republican party caucus as the White House. If a deal is reached, Boehner will be able to claim Obama caved in.
The White House press secretary, Jay Carney, responding to plan B, said Obama is not willing to accept a deal that does not ask enough of the very wealthiest in taxes.
“The speaker’s ‘plan B’ approach doesn’t meet this test because it can’t pass the Senate and therefore will not protect middle class families, and does little to address our fiscal challenges with zero spending cuts. The president is hopeful that both sides can work out remaining differences and reach a solution so we don’t miss the opportunity in front of us today.”
The Democratic leader in the Senate, Harry Reid, echoing the White House, confirmed that there was no chance of plan B getting through the Democratic-controlled Senate.
The backwards and forwards between the White House and Congress looks like part of the traditional dance before an agreement is reached.
Obama and Boehner, who have spoken several times over the last few days, are closing in on a sweeping deal that would raises taxes on the wealthiest and implement deep cuts to federal spending programmes, including welfare.
The two met for 45 minutes on Monday and spoke by phone in the evening, suggesting a deal is in the offing.
If there is no deal in place by 1 January, all taxpayers face an automatic rise and across-the-board spending cuts will kick in.
Boehner, at the press conference, said: “I believe it important we protect as many American tax payers as we can. Our plan B would protect American taxpayers who make $1m or less and have all of their current rates extended.”
He added: “I continue to have hope that we can reach a broader agreement with the White House that would reduce spending as well as have revenues on the table. I think it would be better for our country but at this point we have a back-up plan to make sure as few American taxpayers would be affected by this increase as possible.”
The House majority leader, Eric Cantor, also at the press conference, hinted that Boehner and Obama are close to a deal, in spite of talk of a Plan B. “The president is not yet there. He has not come to where he needs to be in order for to push through a bill that really does begin to address the problem. As the speaker said, that is why we are now discussing an alternative plan if the president and White House can’t come our way.”
Both Obama and Boehner have moved a long way from their original starting points. Obama made an important concession on Monday on tax. Having campaigned this year on raising tax for everyone earning $250,000 or more, he agreed in negotiations with Boehner on Monday to raise the threshold to $400,000. The White House signalled too that this was not Obama’s final offer.
The sticking points appear bridgeable. Obama wants an over-arching deal that will include the debt ceiling, which is having to be raised annually and has turned into an annual White House versus Republican showdown. Obama wants the debt ceiling removed as an issue for the next two years.
Boehner is also seeking to raise the age at which Medicare begins raised from 65 to 67, which the White House has so far resisted.
Trump is deploying national guardsman to provide pandemic support without any health benefits: report
The National Guard are an essential part of the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, and thousands of them have potentially been exposed to infected civilians, making it a particularly dangerous and important time to serve.
But according to The Daily Beast, the guard has been deployed in a way that prevents them from being eligible for the military's health care system.
"The approximately 20,000 guardsmen who have been called up to help states around the country deal with the spread of the coronavirus are federalized on what’s called Title 32 status, which puts them in command of their various state governors but with the federal government paying costs," wrote senior national security correspondent Spencer Ackerman. "But according to the National Guard’s advocates and the U.S. governors’ association, the guardsmen are activated on orders that last 30 days. That puts them one single day shy of the requirement allowing the military health insurance system known as TRICARE — think of it as Medicare For All In Uniform — to cover them."
Vaccine researchers grew ‘alarmed’ as Trump’s CDC wasted weeks of their time with a flawed coronavirus test: report
According to a report from the Washington Post, in the early days as health officials became concerned about the possibility of the COVID-19 pandemic blossoming out of China, researchers sat and wasted days they could have used to start developing a vaccine because they were assured by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that a testing kit was on its way.
As it turned out, that test was flawed.
Relying on emails and interviews, the Post is reporting, "On a Jan. 15 conference call, a leading scientist at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assured local and state public health officials from across the nation that there would soon be a test to detect a mysterious virus spreading from China. Stephen Lindstrom told them the threat was remote and they may not need the test his team was developing 'unless the scope gets much larger than we anticipate,' according to an email summarizing the call."
Lawmakers need to step up and stop Trump from ‘killing Americans’ with his ‘incompetence’: Ex-prosecutor
On Saturday, former federal prosecutor Glenn Kirschner excoriated President Donald Trump's mismanagement of the national health care system on Twitter — and called on elected leaders to "stop letting Trump kill Americans."
Trump’s mixture of incompetence and exploitation for political purposes of our national health emergency is costing lives. The most pressing question at this moment is: at what point do our elected politicians stop letting Trump kill Americans?
— Glenn Kirschner (@glennkirschner2) April 4, 2020