CA preschool closing amid allegations of sexual contact between students
A group of parents is suing a California preschool as it prepares to shut down following allegations that at least two boys got oral sex from a 5-year-old girl.
One of the parents, Richard McCarthy, told KABC-TV on Friday that his 4-year-old son and another student “have been introduced to this feeling that they don’t know how to process, [and] are still looking for it, and trying to make it happen” following the incidents at the First Lutheran Church of Carson School in Carson, California.
McCarthy’s attorney, Craig Owen, told ABC News he will file a lawsuit on Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court against school personnel, as well as the school and the church, and the girl.
School officials announced last week that the school will close on Feb. 8 due to an inability to find a new school director, and not because of the incidents. The current director, they said, was resigning for “personal reasons.”
Officials told KABC-TV that it was aware of two instances of sexual contact between students but that it considered those cases closed and that the girl is not at the school anymore. The school has been cited by the state department of social services for at least one of those incidents, as well as for an “improper teacher-child ratio” and a lack of supervision.
“There were times when teachers would let aides in the room for hours at a time to watch the kids,” Owen said. “During naptime, the aides would be sleeping and the children would have been molesting each other during this time.”
McCarthy said he is unsure of how to let his son another school, saying he has been sexualized as a result of the incidents.
“There’s no way I can just take him to another school and be that parent that just lets a predator loose,” he told KABC. “How else do you explain it?”
Watch KABC’s report, aired Friday, below.