Stories Chosen For You
More than seven million Bangladeshis are still in "desperate" need of shelter and aid after deadly floods earlier this month, the Red Cross said Tuesday.
At least 101 people were killed in the country's northeast when rivers swelled to record levels and inundated rural villages, after some of the heaviest rains in a century.
"The scale of devastation this time is so much more" than earlier floods, said Sanjeev Kafley of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
An estimated 7.2 million people were in "desperate need of shelter and emergency relief items" in the worst-hit Sylhet region, the IFRC said in a statement.
The government has sent food rations and other emergency humanitarian aid to those hit by the floods, said Nitai Dey Sarker of Bangladesh's disaster management authority.
He added that once flood waters receded further, relief workers would send corrugated iron as building material for those who had lost their homes.
Sarker said the situation had improved around Bangladesh in recent days, but many in the northeast fear more floods to come, with two-thirds of the monsoon season still ahead of them.
"We are still stuck up in the flood shelter and yet to head back home to calculate the damage," Abdul Hakim, a farmer from Sylhet, told AFP.
"The water levels in the rivers are rising again and that is very worrying," he added.
The government said nearly 200,000 people were sheltering in schools and colleges that had been closed to accommodate those forced to flee their homes.
© 2022 AFP
'Concerned' Trump is 'trying to make friends' among GOP critics because he fears J6 investigations: NYT's Haberman
Appearing on CNN 's "New Day" to discuss the surprise House Jan 6th hearing scheduled for later in the day on Tuesday, the New York Times' Maggie Haberman revealed that Donald Trump has been reaching out to GOP lawmakers and trying to patch up things over concerns about what the hearings have revealed.
After addressing what Cassidy Hutchinson, the former senior aide to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, will tell the committee on Tuesday, she was asked how Trump is reacting.
In a word, she said the former president is "concerned."
"You have some really interesting reporting about Trump being in kind of fence-mending mode and reaching out to people that he's quite surprising fence-mending with," host John Berman asked.
"It's hard to know," the NYT reporter replied. "There's a couple things, one is he endorsed [Rep] Tom Cole (R-LA), a congressman who has been pretty critical of him. When Nancy Mace (R-SC), who he savaged in South Carolina, won her primary where, you know, he backed her opponent. He then did some, you know, noted magnanimity on her social media website saying congratulations or something to that effect. He is, as one adviser said to me in friend-making mode and I don't think it's a coincidence. I don't think it is about running for president, I think it's about the investigations."
"Really?" host Berman responded.
"I do," she replied. "I think a lot of what is driving him right now is about concern about the various investigations and I think he is trying to make more friends than enemies at the moment. Now, could it benefit for him if he ran for president and won? Absolutely. But I think the investigations have a -- in the House and otherwise -- have a large mind share."
Watch the video below or at this link.
CNN 06 28 2022 07 04 31 youtu.be
Filmmaker may have proof Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump discussed Jan. 6 plan months earlier: Guardian reporter
Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump may have been aware of a plan to overturn the 2020 election more than three months before the Jan. 6 insurrection, according to documentary film evidence obtained by the House Select Committee.
Congressional investigators believe plans for disrupting the Jan. 6 certification of the November election results were communicated to advisers to Trump Jr. and his fiancée Kimberly Guilfoyle before the election had taken place, and documentary filmmaker Alex Holder appears to have evidence to prove this was true, Guardian reporter Hugo Lowell told MSNBC's "Morning Joe."
"Jamie Raskin, a member of the select committee got a tip that Alex Holde had sat down for these one-on-one interviews with the former president himself and a number of Trump's adult children," Lowell said. "Now, what also emerged during that deposition is that the documentary film crew got access to the Trump Hotel on the 29th of September of 2020. That was the night of the first debate, and that's really significant because Alex Holder was able to record Don Jr. and Eric and others on the phone and having candid private conversations among each other about strategies with respect to the 2020 election."
That date is significant not just because it came before the election, but because it shows there was a coordinated plan among the Trump family and their allies to disrupt a potential loss by the president.
"It also comes the same night that Steve Bannon was doing an interview with our friend John Heilemann, who of course is the host of 'The Circus' on HBO, and he was telling John about how he expected the outcome of the election to come down on Jan. 6 or later," Lowell said. "But, either way, it would be decided in the House of Representatives in a contingent election, so what the select committee is trying to establish is there a line between what Steve Bannon was saying and Don Jr. was saying."
"We know they share advisers and they share people close to those two, you know, in their orbits," Lowell added. "So they need to establish was there some sort of plan that the Trump children knew about for somehow stopping the certification on Jan. 6, as Bannon was predicting."
Watch the video below or at this link.
06 28 2022 07 01 42 www.youtube.com