Anzor Tsarnaev to fly to US in effort to 'clear up many things' as Boston investigators seek to question American wife of son Tamerlan

The father of the two Boston bombing suspects has said he will fly from Russia to the US to seek "justice and the truth" this week, as federal investigators seek to interview the American wife of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the elder Tsarnaev brother who was killed in a shootout with police.

In an interview on Sunday, Anzor Tsarnaev said he had "lots of questions" for police, and told the Associated Press he wants to "clear up many things".

His wife, Zubeidat, told journalists on Monday that her husband planned to fly to the US on Wednesday and that the family would try to bring the body of Tamerlan, 26, back to Russia. The elder Tsarnaev died after a frenzied gun battle with police on Friday in the Boston suburb of Watertown.

His younger brother, Dzhokhar, 19, who escaped before being captured in a boat on Friday evening, is in a "very serious" condition, under heavy guard in hospital with a gunshot wound to his throat, according to authorities. There have been several unconfirmed reports that Dzhokhar is communicating with police in a limited fashion.

Authorities are keen to question Dzhokhar about the motives behind the twin bomb attacks which left three people dead and scores injured at the Boston Marathon a week ago. They are also expected to ask him about whether the brothers had any international or outside help.

In addition to charges expected over the bombing, the 19-year-old also is likely to face additional state charges in connection with the fatal shooting of MIT police officer Sean Collier in Cambridge, said Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex County district attorney.

Meanwhile, authorities were also seeking to interview Katherine Russell Tsarnaev, the American wife of Tamerlan, according to the family lawyer. Federal authorities went to the suburban Rhode Island home of Tsarnaev's in-laws on Sunday evening.

Amato DeLuca, the family's lawyer, told the Associated Press that Katherine Tsarnaev did not speak to investigators when they visited her parents' home. "I spoke to [federal officials], and that's all I can say right now," DeLuca told the AP. "We're deciding what we want to do and how we want to approach this."

DeLuca said that on Thursday, the last day he was alive, Tamerlan Tsarnaev "was home" when his wife left for work. He said that Katherine had been working 70 to 80 hours a week as a home healthcare aide and did not suspect her husband of anything. While she was at work, her husband was looking after their young daughter.

"When this allegedly was going on, she was working, and had been working all week to support her family," DeLuca told the AP. Nothing seemed amiss, he said. She only learned her husband was a suspect in the bombing when she saw it on the television.

DeLuca added that Katherine did not see Dzhokhar, who lived with them, at her apartment "at all", because he was in college.

In Massachusetts on Monday, Governor Deval Patrick asked residents to observe a moment of silence at 2.50pm, the time the first of the two bombs exploded near the marathon finish line. Bells will toll across the city and state after the minute-long tribute to the victims.

Massachusetts' chief medical examiner was still working to discover exactly what killed Tamerlan, who unleashed a barrage of gunfire and explosives at police with his brother before dying during an escape attempt. The authorities have said the pair planned more attacks.

A private funeral was due to take place on Monday for Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant worker, one of three killed in the blasts. A memorial service will be held in the evening at Boston University for 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, a graduate student from China, who also died.

Meanwhile, surgeons at a Cambridge hospital said the Boston transit police officer wounded in a shootout with the suspects had lost nearly all his blood, and his heart had stopped from a single gunshot wound that severed three major blood vessels in his right thigh.

Richard Donohue, 33, was in critical but stable condition. He was sedated and on a breathing machine but opened his eyes, moved his hands and feet and squeezed his wife's hand on Sunday.

© Guardian News and Media 2013