The Boston Celtics regular season-ending home game on Tuesday against Indiana has been cancelled after deadly explosions rocked the Boston Marathon, the NBA announced Monday.
The game, which was set to be played at the downtown Garden arena just blocks from the site of the blasts, would not be re-scheduled, the league said.
The move follows the National Hockey League’s decision to postpone Monday night’s contest between the Boston Bruins and the Ottawa Senators.
“The NBA expresses its sympathy to all those affected by the tragedy in Boston earlier today,” the NBA said in a news release.
Miami Heat star LeBron James tweeted Monday that he was thinking about those affected by the blasts.
“Prayers goes out to those involved/hurt in #BostonMarathon,” tweeted James.
NHL officials said unlike the Celtics’ contest, the Bruins’ home game would be rescheduled at a later date.
“The National Hockey League wishes to express its sympathy to all affected by the tragic events that took place in Boston earlier this afternoon,” the league said.
The Boston Red Sox’s home game against the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday morning wasn’t affected. The Red Sox had beaten the Rays 3-2 before the twin blasts caused chaos in the city, killing at least three and injuring scores of others.
“Very sad to hear the news coming out of Boston,” Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino said on Twitter after the team had travelled to Cleveland. “Horrific. My thoughts and prayers to all those involved.”
Trump aides desperately try to downplay ‘order’ to US companies to leave China
Donald Trump's top aides on Sunday downplayed the idea of US companies being forced to abandon China any time soon, as an edict from the president ordering businesses to start looking for alternatives has been met with skepticism.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and White House economics advisor Larry Kudlow took to the airwaves from France, where Trump is participating in the G7 summit, to smooth out tensions in the business community prompted by Trump's Friday tweet.
Trump said he has "no plan now" to bring US companies in line, and his aides quickly reinforced the message.
Trump sparks confusion at G7 before doubling down on China tariffs
President Donald Trump doubled down Sunday on his hard line against China after sowing confusion with statements that he might be willing to soften a trade war G7 partners fear threatens the world economy.
At the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, Trump announced a major trade deal with Japan and promised more of the same with Britain, once Brexit is done.
But the positives were overshadowed by a mix-up over his apparent expression of regret for the latest escalation in the US-China dispute.
"I have second thoughts about everything," he conceded to reporters when asked if he regretted his decision on Friday to ramp up tariffs on all Chinese imports, worth some $550 billion, in retaliation for Beijing's earlier hike of levies on US goods.
G7 wrestles with Iran, Amazon fires and trade, but own unity shaky
G7 leaders close their summit Monday with discussion of world problems including the fires ravaging the Amazon rainforest, but overshadowed by President Donald Trump's trade wars and questions over the group's unity.
The summit in Biarritz, a high-end surfers' paradise in southwestern France, saw a dramatic shift of focus Saturday when Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif flew in to discuss the diplomatic deadlock on Tehran's disputed nuclear programme.
Zarif's presence had not been expected and it represented a gamble by French host Emmanuel Macron who is seeking to soothe spiralling tensions between Iran and the United States.