Race organisers said the London Marathon would go ahead on Sunday despite the death of at least two people in explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, but police said they would review security plans.
While it has yet to be confirmed that the Boston explosions on Monday were caused by a terror attack, the shocking scenes quickly prompted fears of a similar incident at the London race.
“We will not be cancelling, what we are doing, we are reviewing,” London Marathon Chief Executive Nick Bitel told BBC Radio 5 Live.
“You look at what has occurred, if there are steps we can take to increase security and all sorts of measures one could deploy.
“We run through the city, when you have an event of any nature, a marathon, parade, it’s only as safe as the city itself, if it’s not held in a stadium you can’t do a lockdown like you may do in a building,” he added.
Thousands of people, including leading international athletes, compete in the London Marathon every year and, with the race just six days away, there was earlier speculation the event could be cancelled on safety grounds.
Bitel said he was “deeply saddened and shocked by the news.
“Our immediate thoughts are with the people there and their families,” he said in a statement. “It is a very sad day for athletics and for our friends and colleagues in marathon running.
“Our security plan is developed jointly with the Metropolitan Police and we were in contact with them as soon as we heard the news.”
Met Police Chief Superintendent Julia Pendry added: “A security plan is in place for the London Marathon. We will be reviewing our security arrangements in partnership with London Marathon.”
The explosions in Boston took place after the elite race had finished.
Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopa won the men’s race with Rita Jeptoo winning the women’s event.
Paula Radcliffe, the British women’s marathon world record holder, said she was “horrified to hear news of bomb explosion near Boston marathon finish.
“Really hope there are no serious casualties. Situation looks awful, thoughts with everyone. There are some very sick people out there, who would do something like this?”
The Boston race, the world’s oldest annual Marathon, is held each year on the United States’ Patriot’s Day.
Fox News graphic busts White House press secretary for lying about Syria cease-fire
A Fox News chyron underlined a major lie by White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham.
She still hasn't given an official press briefing, but Grisham made one of her frequent appearances on "Fox & Friends" to celebrate a cease-fire negotiated Thursday by Vice President Mike Pence that's already been broken.
"The president has an obligation to look out for the troops and look out for the country," Grisham said, justifying President Donald Trump's decision to remove troops from northern Syria and abandoned Kurdish allies to ethnic cleansing by Turkey.
"When (Turkish president Recep Tayyip) Erdo?an made it clear he was going to invade, the president acted decisively to pull our military out of the way," Grisham said. "He sent a delegation over to get a cease-fire. That takes time."
James Mattis finally fires back at Trump in a surprisingly funny charity speech
Former US defense secretary James Mattis said he was honored to be the "world's most overrated general" in a swipe at his former boss Donald Trump who insulted him earlier this week.
At a gala charity dinner in New York Thursday evening, Mattis told diners he had now "achieved greatness."
"I'm not just an overrated general. I am the greatest, the world's most overrated," he said.
"I'm honored to be considered that by Donald Trump because he also called Meryl Streep an overrated actress," he said.
"So I guess I'm the Meryl Streep of generals, and frankly that sounds pretty good to me," he said to laughter and applause at the annual Alfred E Smith Memorial Foundation dinner.
‘We’ve entered a shame-free zone’: CNN’s Sciutto appalled by Trump’s ‘mind-boggling’ G7 corruption
CNN's Jim Sciutto on Friday did not mince words when talking about President Donald Trump's decision to host next year's G7 summit at his own golf course in Doral, Florida.
During a segment about the president's multiple corruption scandals, Sciutto described Trump's G7 gambit as the president "explicitly, publicly steering a taxpayer-funded government contract to [his] own business." He then asked former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti to comment on why this scandal might get Trump into hot legal water.