Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) on Wednesday said that he was “open” to considering the idea of halting all student visas from Muslim countries as a reaction to this month’s Boston Marathon bombings.
Earlier this week, Fox News host Bob Beckel first suggested that there should be a two-year suspension of 75,000 student visas from Muslim countries, even though the two men suspected of carrying out the Boston bombings emigrated from Russia as refugees.
“I think we really have to consider, given the fact so many people hate us, that we’re going to have to cut off Muslim students coming to this country for some period of time so that we can absorb what we’ve got and look at what we’ve got and decide whether some of the people here should be going — be sent home or sent to prison,” Beckel opined.
During a Wednesday interview about how the terrorist attack might affect immigration reform, Fox News host Neil Cavuto asked Rubio if he agreed with Beckel.
“We need to be open to changes that provide more security,” Rubio replied. “I don’t like profiling anybody or singling or generally leading, on the other hand student visas are something this country does because it’s in our national interest but you don’t have a right to a student visa.”
“I’m not prepared to take a firm position on restriction. I want to learn about what might have worked to prevent past attacks.”
Rubio doubled down the next day, insisting to Fox News host Martha MacCallum that he had meant what he said.
“I’m saying if there are indicators people are coming from parts of the world where dangerous people are living and plotting against us that should be a factor determining whether we allow people to come here from there or not,” he said.
Watch this video from Fox News’ Your World, broadcast April 25, 2013.
These are the likely charges to be filed in Trump’s impeachment after devastating House testimony: CNN
On Friday morning, former prosecutor Elie Honig ticked off what he believes will be included in the articles of impeachment filed against Donald Trump after five days of testimony from members of his own administration.
Speaking with host Alysin Camerota, the CNN legal analyst said the Democratic-led House has a clear path to send their charges to the Senate for a trial and vote.
CNN’s John Berman throws cold water on GOP excitement over FBI official accused of altering Russia document
Early Friday morning CNN hosts John Berman and Alisyn Camerota undercut GOP excitement over a report that a former FBI official has been accused of altering a document tied to the investigation into Donald Trump's relationship with Russia, saying the employee in question was a lower-level attorney who is no longer with the agency.
On Thursday night, CNN reported that John Durham, the U.S. Attorney tasked by Attorney General William Barr to investigate the origins of the 2016 Russia probe, has opened a criminal investigation into an FBI official accused of altering a document pertaining to the original surveillance efforts.
GOP will be ‘aided and abetted’ by Russian bots and trolls defending Trump: Former FBI counter-intel chief
The former assistant director for counterintelligence at the Federal Bureau of Investigation warned Americans to "hunker down" because Russian intelligence will be repeating Republican talking points.
Frank Figliuzzi was interviewed Thursday by MSNBC's Brian Williams on "The Last Word."
"Frank, Fiona Hill -- who richly deserves it -- has been awarded front page status tomorrow morning on the front page of The New York Times, and I imagine newspapers and websites across this country," Williams noted.
"It was extraordinary today when she -- in effect, begged -- asked, certainly, members of the committee to stop supplying Russian talking points, to stop advancing Russian propaganda in the Congress of the United States," he continued.