Government officials said on Wednesday that they had "solid leads" in the investigation into who was behind the Monday bombings at the Boston Marathon.
Both Fox News and CNN were told that surveillance video surveillance video from the Lord & Taylor department store near the second bombing location was being used to help identify a suspect.
Initial reports from CNN and Fox News indicated that a suspect had been arrested, but the Justice Department and Boston Police Department later said that no arrests had been made. Several sources also told Fox News and CNN that no suspect had even been identified.
The Associated Press had initially reported that a suspect was in custody and was being escorted to federal court by U.S. Marshals. Within about 45 minutes, the AP noted that federal officials had denied that report.
"Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack," the FBI said in a statement. "Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."
[Ed. note: (4:10 p.m. ET): An earlier version of this report incorrectly stated that CBS News reported that an arrest had been made.]
This is a breaking report. Continue to refresh this page for updates...