Victim identified nearly 12 years after 9/11
A 43-year-old woman killed in the September 11 attacks in New York has been identified, bringing the total number of identified victims to 1,636, authorities said.
“The identification was made by retesting of remains recovered during the original recovery” in World Trade Center debris, said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
She said the office will not release the woman’s name at the request of the family.
A total of 2,753 people were reported missing in the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York, when Al-Qaeda hijackers flew two airliners into the Twin Towers.
A third plane was flown into the Pentagon, while a fourth crashed in a Pennsylvania field after its passengers tried to overpower the hijackers.
To date, only 59 percent of the New York victims have been identified and no trace has been found of the remaining 41 percent.
A new search for human remains was launched near the site in April after a piece of plane wreckage was found stuck between two buildings. But no new remains were found.