Actor hangs up his cape, saying character is ‘a torch’ that should be handed on
Christian Bale will not be returning to the role of Batman – in a Justice League movie or any other film.
Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, the British actor confirmed his trilogy of films as the caped crusader for Christopher Nolan between 2005’s Batman Begins and last year’s The Dark Knight Rises had sated his interest in playing the superhero.
“We were incredibly fortunate to get to make three. That’s enough. Let’s not get greedy,” he said. “Chris always said he wanted to make it one film at a time. And we ended up sitting there looking at each other, saying ‘We’re about to make the third.’ We never really knew if we were going to get to be there, but if that was how it was going to be, this was where it should end as well.”
Bale said the time was now right for another man to play Batman on the big screen. “It’s a torch that should be handed from one actor to another,” he said. “So I enjoy looking forward to what somebody else will come up with.”
A Justice League movie, which would see Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman uniting on the big screen, is in the works at studio Warner Bros following the $520m (£340m) box-office success of Superman reboot Man of Steel. It is expected, however, that a sequel to Man of Steel will move into production first.
US blog Latino Review set tongues wagging in the fanboy community in March by suggesting that Bale would return as Batman in Justice League, with Nolan overseeing the project in the same way he produced Man of Steel. Warners also produced the British director’s Batman movies and owns screen rights to all DC comics superheroes. However, Bale said he was not aware of more than the most basic details regarding Justice League.
“I have no information, no knowledge about anything,” he said. “I’ve literally not had a conversation with a living soul. I understand that they may be making a Justice League movie, that’s it.”
[“Stock Photo: Berlin, Germany – February 13: Christian Bale Attends ‘The Flowers Of War’ Press Conference During Of The 62nd Berlin Film Festival At The Grand Hyatt On February 13, 2012 In Berlin, Germany” on Shutterstock]
AG Bill Barr will ‘try to interfere’ in the 2020 election to re-elect Trump: MSNBC national affairs analyst
Attorney General William Barr will use the Department of Justice to "try to interfere" in the 2020 presidential election to re-elect Donald Trump, MSNBC's national affairs analyst predicted on Tuesday.
John Heilemann was interviewed by Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC's "The Last Word."
"The attorney general, from the moment he walked into this job, has behaved in a -- as a ruthless, relentless political hack and a thug and who has behaved not as attorney general of the United States," Heilemann said.
"He made a travesty of the Mueller report and continues to lie on Donald Trump's behalf at every opportunity," he added.
Trump welcomed Russia’s Sergey Lavrov to the White House — to humiliate us all
Despite the fact that President Donald Trump still refuses to have Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to Washington for an officials meeting — a topic at the center of the scandal driving Trump’s impeachment — the White House hosted Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday.
And while Lavrov was honored with his second private Oval Office meeting (the first one was a cataclysmic disaster) and a press conference with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the foreign minister took his opportunity here to repeatedly humiliate the United States.
United States, Mexico, Canada finalize Donald Trump’s USMCA trade deal
The United States, Mexico and Canada signed a deal Tuesday to finalize their new trade agreement, paving the way to ratification after more than two years of arduous negotiations.
However, the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump in the US Senate would likely delay Congressional ratification of the agreement until next year, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
In reality, it is the second time the three countries have triumphantly announced the conclusion of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the deal meant to replace the 25-year-old NAFTA, which President Donald Trump complains has been "a disaster" for the US.