Fox News is smearing FBI because far-right fears Feds are closing in on insurrection leaders: ex-official
Former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi says he thinks the debunked conspiracy theory Fox News personality Tucker Carlson has been pushing — that it was the FBI who attacked the Capitol and not Trump supporters seeking to overturn the election — is because conservatives fear the bureau is closing in on those who incited the attack.
Before Carlson pushed his conspiracy theory about the FBI, he pushed Trump's "Big Lie" about election fraud.
"I want to ask you about the idea of [Matthew Dowd's] that [Trump] was a clear and present danger and ask you if he still is," MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace said. "Because this is a story not just because this crazy ladies squatting in a mansion talking to Icelandic reporters furthered them, but because the disgraced ex-president grabbed them and sent them to his Justice Department and asked the Justice Department to act on them."
"You're absolutely right," Figliuzzi replied. "Let's be clear here, we're not talking about conspiracies that just spontaneously sprung up from the population as they do — urban legends that need to get swatted down or that take on a life of their own — we're looking at conspiracy as a deliberate strategy,."
"Deception as a strategy," he explained. "And you could argue that the former president now out of office has absolutely no guardrails and zero accountability and can engage in this even more often."
Figliuzzi explained the latest Fox News conspiracy theory that the FBI was behind the insurrection as because the bureau is closing in on the leadership of the attack.
"I think that they are frightened out of their minds that the FBI is actually looking at the root causes of this. And we have some confirmation of that because NBC News obtained one of the FBI interview transcripts of one of the January 6 defendants," he said. "And low and behold, what is one of the questions they asked him? 'Do you know anybody in Congress or congressional staffers? "If that is becoming a standardized question under certain circumstances, they have every right to be worried and that's why we'll see them continue to plant this cockamamy theory that the FBI did it."
Frank Figliuzzi youtu.be
While the Trump Organization is dodging problems with the Manhattan District Attorney, they're fighting back against the city of New York for what they say was an illegal termination of their contract, reported ABC News.
Former President Donald Trump's company managed several things for the city including the two skating rinks, the Central Park Carousel and the Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point. After the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, New York City wanted nothing to do with anything Trump-related.
"The City has no right to terminate our contract," the Trump Organization said. "Mayor [Bill] de Blasio's actions are purely politically motivated, have no legal merit, and are yet another example of the mayor's efforts to advance his own partisan agenda and interfere with free enterprise."
Presumably, if it was politically motivated, de Blasio would have terminated the contract prior to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
"The President incited a rebellion against the United States government that killed five people and threatened to derail the constitutional transfer of power," de Blasio said in Jan. "The City of New York will not be associated with those unforgivable acts in any shape, way or form, and we are immediately taking steps to terminate all Trump Organization contracts."
Trump makes about $17 million annually for the contracts and the golf course contract isn't set to expire until 2032. the others expired earlier this year. The city government explained that it followed its contract termination process included in the documents.
The cash-only ice rink is one of the contracts being investigated by the Manhattan district attorney's office.
'I've lived a sheltered life': Capitol rioter admits she knew nothing about the injustices in America
Recent reporting showed that one of the first Capitol rioters who will be sentenced for her crimes, 49-year-old grandmother Anna Morgan-Lloyd of Bloomfield, Indiana, has expressed remorse in her legal filings, acknowledging President Joe Biden as the legitimate head of the country. Her lawyers said that she "respects the rule of law and was horrified when she saw videos of insurgents at the Capitol on January 6."
But even more than that, according to the Huffington Post, Morgan-Lloyd has been taking history classes on racial injustice throughout the history of the United States and is rethinking everything she understands about her country.
"I've lived a sheltered life and truly haven't experienced life the way many have," Morgan-Lloyd wrote to the court. "I've learned that even though we live in a wonderful country things still need to improve. People of all colors should feel as safe as I do to walk down the street."
"The remedial social studies program that Morgan-Lloyd is following was created by her D.C.-based lawyer, H. Heather Shaner," said the report, noting that she has been writing reports on everything from "Schindler's List" to "Burning Tulsa." "Defense attorneys in the nation's Capitol aren't exactly a core part of Trump's political base, as many have made clear in court filings in which they've blamed Trump for leading their clients to the edge by convincing them that the 2020 election was stolen. Some private D.C. defense lawyers told HuffPost after Jan. 6 that they were refusing to take Capitol attack cases outright."
In recent months, Republicans have used right-wing media to incite a panic over the possibility of racial injustice being taught in schools, and have passed laws around the country limiting how teachers can discuss these issues with children.
You can read more here.
Don't Sit on the Sidelines of History. Join Raw Story Investigates and Go Ad-Free. Support Honest Journalism.
$95 / year — Just $7.91/month
I want to Support More
$14.99 per month