Mexican authorities are investigating whether human remains found in a park outside the capital belong to 12 young people whose kidnapping in May shocked the city, officials said Thursday.
Mexico City’s top prosecutor, Rodolfo Rios, said the remains of seven people have been recovered since the search began Wednesday and that investigators were looking for more bodies in the rough terrain.
The mass grave was discovered in a park in the town of Tlalmanalco, some 30 kilometers (19 miles) southeast of the capital, and police put up a checkpoint on a dirt road surrounded by corn fields one kilometer from the site.
“For the moment, seven bodies were recovered from the site, and obviously due to the state of decomposition we will have to wait for an autopsy,” Rios said.
Rios told Foros Television it would take at least two days to get results from DNA tests to identify the remains. An official from the federal attorney general’s office said five of the remains were mere bones.
The 12 victims were kidnapped from a Mexico City bar in broad daylight last May in a case that raised concerns about security in the capital, which has been relatively immune from the country’s drug cartel violence.
Rios has linked the mass kidnapping to a dispute between two gangs known as La Union and Tepis, which sell drugs in the city’s rough Tepito neighborhood. But Mexico City authorities insist that the bigger cartels do not operate in the capital.
Most of the abductees hail from Tepito and two of them, including 16-year-old Jerzy Ortiz, are sons of jailed criminals.
The group was whisked away by 17 men who walked into the Heaven bar on May 26 and took them away in several cars, just blocks away from the federal police headquarters and the US embassy, according to footage from security cameras.
Two bar owners have been arrested in connection with the case. The charred remains of a third associate was found in the central state of Morelos last month.
Jerzy’s aunt, Eugenia Ponce Ramos, told AFP that Rios spoke with the families and told them that authorities have yet to confirm the identities of the bodies.
“We have to stay calm,” said Ponce, who is among scores of family members who have held protests in the capital to demand answers about the fate of their loved ones.
Mexico City authorities initially classified the disappearances as a missing persons case before determining it was a mass kidnapping.
Officials have since offered a reward of more than $750,000 for information that could help the investigation.
Heaven is an after-hours bar that was briefly closed in 2011 after a man vanished.
But Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera insists that the mass kidnapping is an “isolated” case linked to local gangs.
The former Mexico City police chief, Manuel Mondragon y Kalb, who now heads the federal police, told Mexican television last month that the country’s main gangs have “crystalized” in some areas of the capital.
Trump is ‘a soulless man with a broken mind’: George Conway calls out his wife’s boss in scathing op-ed
George Conway, the prominent Republican attorney married to White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, blasted his wife's boss in a new Washington Post op-ed published online on Friday evening.
"Until three brief months ago, President Trump never faced a serious crisis, at least one not of his own making. But now he has faced two, and is failing two, in short order: the covid-19 pandemic, with its concomitant economic devastation; and now social unrest, and rioting, stemming from the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody," Conway wrote. "Lacking in humanity, Trump has had no idea how to handle either one."
Fox News triggers outrage with graphic comparing how much stocks have risen after racist tragedies
On Friday, Fox News displayed a graph that appeared to compare the amount the stock market has risen in the week after various racial tragedies, including the assassination of Martin Luther King, the beating of Rodney King, the Ferguson incident, and the death of George Floyd.
2. Here’s the video of the graphic as it aired on Fox News this evening. pic.twitter.com/Iww2DnzkkI
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) June 5, 2020
Bill Barr denies giving the order to gas protesters for Trump photo-op
America's top law enforcement office on Friday denied giving the highly-controversial order to gas protesters prior to a photo-op with President Donald Trump holding a Bible.
"Attorney General William Barr says law enforcement officers were already moving to push back protesters from a park in front of the White House when he arrived there Monday evening, and he says he did not give a command to disperse the crowd, though he supported the decision," The Associated Press reports.
"Barr’s comments in an interview with The Associated Press on Friday were his most detailed explanation yet of what unfolded outside the White House earlier this week. They come after the White House and others said repeatedly that the attorney general ordered officers to clear the park," the AP reported. "Shortly after officers aggressively pushed back demonstrators, President Donald Trump — accompanied by Barr, Pentagon leaders and other top advisers — walked through Lafayette Park to pose for a photo at a nearby church that had been damaged during the protests."