Quantcast
Connect with us

Italian Prime Minister Letta quits after being rebuked by his own party

Published

on

Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta announced his resignation on Thursday after his own party voted against his leadership, with 39-year-old leftist Matteo Renzi now expected to replace him.

Letta said he will submit his resignation to President Giorgio Napolitano on Friday after less than a year at the head of an uneasy left-right coalition and just as Italy is beginning to emerge from a painful recession.

ADVERTISEMENT

Members of the centre-left Democratic Party’s governing directorate voted 136 in favour and 16 against a motion requesting a change of government submitted by Renzi in a dramatic climax to a weeks-long feud with Letta.

“A simple and courageous country,” Renzi tweeted at the end of a tumultuous political day, with the hashtag #proviamoci (#letstryit).

Renzi called on the Democratic Party to back a new “radical programme” and a government that could last until the end of the legislature in 2018.

“We have to offer a way out of the quagmire,” he said.

The party thanked Letta, who only came to power in April, for his “positive work” but called for “a new phase with a new executive”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ever since being elected to lead the party in December, the ambitious and media-savvy Renzi has accused Letta of dragging his feet on crucial political reforms and failing to do enough to combat rampant unemployment.

Letta will now hold his final cabinet meeting starting at 1030 GMT on Friday, then formally submit his resignation to Napolitano who will have to name someone to replace him — with Renzi virtually certain to be his pick.

A new cabinet could be in place by next week, following a round of formal consultations with political parties hosted by the nominee for premier.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the space of just a few days, a possibility that Renzi himself and top party leaders had excluded until very recently could take shape and Renzi could become the youngest government leader in the European Union.

Some analysts however were sceptical about Renzi’s chances once in power.

ADVERTISEMENT

Giovanni Orsina, politics watcher for La Stampa daily, said Renzi’s power move was “grave and risky” because he lacked an electoral mandate to govern.

“He will be forgiven all of this if he manages to do important things but his would be a weak government,” Orsina said, pointing out that the fragmentation of political forces in parliament would be unchanged.

Marco Bracconi from La Repubblica warned that if Renzi fails to implement reforms “he will be remembered as a presumptuous and boorish meteor who destroyed everything and failed to build — all due to a personal ambition”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stock markets fell sharply during trading but later gained ground and the benchmark FTSE Mib index ended the day down 0.17 percent, while borrowing costs rose for Italy on the bond market, reflecting increased investor jitters.

In a note to investors, Germany’s Berenberg Bank said a Renzi government in charge until 2018 “would probably be the best possible outcome for Italy”.

“Renzi promises to step up the pace of reforms. He claims that is the reason he wants to replace Letta. And Renzi may well deliver,” it said.

Thursday’s meeting also exposed divisions within the party with one dissenter against Renzi, Pippo Civati, likening the internal struggle between his party’s leader and Letta to the 1980 horror film “The Shining”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Renzi, a former Boy Scout and the mayor of Florence, is running high in the opinion polls because he is seen as a relative outsider on the national political scene with on-the-ground local experience.

He has never been in government or parliament and often rails against the costs of the political machine. His catchphrases and informal style appeal particularly to younger voters and he often communicates through social media.

Tensions had been rising in the Democratic Party ever since Renzi won the party leadership in December and several experts had said that a long “cohabitation” between Letta and his party’s leader would have been impossible.

Renzi’s star has risen just as Silvio Berlusconi’s has waned.

ADVERTISEMENT

The disgraced former prime minister has spoken highly of the young Renzi, stirring unease among leftists in the party but opening up a potential for “transversal” appeal for Renzi to disgruntled centre-right voters.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: DC protesters turn over ‘agitator’ to police — then the agitators try to start a fight with cops

Published

on

Protesters in Washington, D.C. were captured on video handing over an agitator to police, while other agitators in paintball tactical gear appeared to try and start fights with police.

Former FBI assistant director of counterintelligence, Frank Figliuzzi, revealed that his former colleagues and law enforcement he knows recognize that far-right agitators are attempting to start significant conflicts between police and protesters.

"There is a minimal presence of Antifa, but a far more disturbing presence of right-wing race-based hate groups, such as the Boogaloo Boys who think there will be a race-based civil war coming," he said on MSNBC.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump could use Antifa conspiracy theories to ‘investigate his political opponents’: Ex-FBI assistant director

Published

on

According to former FBI assistant director for counterintelligence Frank Figliuzzi, there are far more white supremacists and anti-government agitators infiltrating the peaceful Black Lives Matter protests than Antifa. He fears Trump will use Antifa as an excuse to investigate his political opponents.

Speaking to MSNBC on Sunday evening, Figliuzzi told host Brian Williams that his sources in law enforcement are telling him that President Donald Trump doesn't have his facts straight on Antifa.

"We're seeing components of legitimate frustrated protesters responding to Mr. Floyd's demise and others," explained Figliuzzi. "Then we are seeing people who are exploiting this for their own purposes, and some of them are more than just opportunistic criminals. Some of them are organized, and some of them have diverse agendas but are coming together to wreak havoc. And I think what we need to pay attention to here is what we have evidence of, what we don't have evidence of, and what we're hearing from the White House and the attorney general."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump criticized as ‘most cowardly tough guy’ for Twitterstorm while being rushed to protective underground bunker

Published

on

Twitter couldn't help but notice that President Donald Trump was talking tough while hiding in his underground bunker.

The New York Times reported Sunday that Trump was rushed to the underground bunker that has only been used during the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks when passenger planes were headed to Washington, D.C. Trump, by contrast, didn't experience a terrorist threat, a few hundred protesters surrounded the White House complex, which is blocked off by several fences and surrounded by Secret Service and police.

It was something that many noticed contrasted with former Vice President Joe Biden, who spent Sunday listening to the concerns from protesters on the streets of his hometown.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image